Petal blight?

Athenagilees

Sapling
Reaction score
Helllppp I believe my kerume azalea has petal blight what do I do to save my plant😔????

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
First.
Do whatever you can to reduce the humidiy / moisture on the petals and foliage.

Second.
Treat it with a fungicide. Bonide Fung-onil Multi-purpose Fungicide at 2.25 teaspoons/gal water is a readily available product that will control the spread of both common petal blight fungi. Use it preventatively next year.

Also.
The total heath of the plant is not likely in danger with petal blight fungi, but the vigor will be reduced.

Athenagilees

Sapling
Reaction score
Do I take all the damaged flowers off and will they grow back this year??

Athenagilees

Sapling
Reaction score
And do I need to repot it I’m sorry for all the questions but I tired to do research on the web but couldn’t find all the answers 😔

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
I understand that research on the net doesn’t always give the correct answers. You have arrived at the best bonsai/horticultural website there is. The search button (top right corner) is your best method of research. Years and years of information. Check out @Mellow Mullet for azalea info re pruning and looking after etc. Also John Glenangel (something like that ) has done some YouTube videos on evergreen Azaleas which will help heaps also.

About your plant - Is it in your profile as the photo? Looks nice. Post a photo here so we can advise correctly as to what to do when etc.
1.If the potting media drains through, not puddles, then you will be fine for a season, but being real careful not to overwater - outside afternoon shade is best. Potting mixes for azaleas are usually high in Peat and Bark ie very wet to begin with.
2. Pulling of the flowers is the best form of attack then spraying like the above fungicides. You won’t get anymore flowers til this time next year.
3. You can prune the plant now re shape and trunk line so long as you don’t prune much after the longest day, as this is when they set their flowers.
Hope this helps,
Charles

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Air movement, the best way to combat petal blight is with good air movement, especially when the plant is indoors. I keep a cheap, 7 inch fan in the general area of my indoor plants, the fan blows a breeze across their area. Grassy leaved plants all have leaves moving at least a little bit in the breeze. A buoyant atmosphere is idea. Outdoors make sure the azalea is not crowded by other plants. Up on a shelf is best. Note: the fan is left running, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Do I take all the damaged flowers off and will they grow back this year??

Yes, remove damaged flowers.. No, the flowers will not be replaced this year. Other buds that have not opened will continue to open, but the ones you remove are gone, done, and will not be replaced.

New growth this year will in autumn make the buds for next year's bloom. So loosing flowers this year to blight will not affect next year's bloom. Next year can be normal.

And do I need to repot it I’m sorry for all the questions but I tired to do research on the web but couldn’t find all the answers 😔

Only repot if the potting media does not drain freely. When you water, the water should sink right in to the mix. IT should not pool on the soil surface. If your pot is still free draining, there is no need to repot. If you repot while the tree is in bloom, all the flowers will drop off. It is not recommended to repot an azalea in bloom. If you feel you must repot, cut off all the remaining flowers, and unopened buds. Never repot a blooming azalea without removing the flowers.

But repotting will not help the petal blight situation, so don'e worry about repotting until a week or two after all the flowers are done.

Athenagilees

Sapling
Reaction score
Ok thank u and yes it’s in doors so what do I do for the winter ? Do I jus continue watering it as usual and thank u so much for your reply

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Kurume azalea are usually hardy through zone 7, in New Jersey you may be able to winter your azalea outdoors. Azalea do like a cool winter rest. It is a temperate forest tree, it is not a tropical.

If you have a garage or storage shed that stays cool, below 40 F and above freezing, 32 F, that would be the ideal spot to winter your azalea. If the temperature is below 40 F, it does not need light. Above 40 F it will need bright indirect light. If it is in a ceramic pot, it should be wintered above freezing to avoid breaking the pot. If it is in plastic pot, the Kurume azalea will be fine to roughly 0 F, (-18 C).

But winter is months away, you have time to figure this out.

Top Bottom