Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

What it says.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And that's quite the conundrum ain't it?

Welcome to Crazy!

Let's count the layers.....

Should the mention of the book be banned since it's religious?
No, because things like this work to dissolve the meaning of words like "Bible", so it's technically Satanic, so we should ban it for "religion" again?
Should we ban the book itself for being Satanic?
Should we ban it cuz it's not?

Not here to shame the book, I'm keen on forgiveness.

Just getting really clear on how this works.

The Books, all the big ones, work if we actually follow them.
Instead we listen to media divide us all.

It's hard work.

This turning, the Red Man gets his seat at the table.

We are all going to see soon!

The world is about to move forward again!

Sorce

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Welcome to Crazy!

No, because things like this work to dissolve the meaning of words like "Bible", so it's technically Satanic, so we should ban it for "religion" again?

It's hard work.

Sorce
Sorce I know you got all your oars in the water . But there not all rowing in the same direction. Kind of like myself . 😂😂. Only this week figured out you make pots 👍👍 very nice what I’ve seen . What are the chances of convincing you someday to ship to Canada

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Welcome to Crazy!

It's hard work.

Sorce
BDB979DB-5D17-46F9-A7E8-899AF4ABB5D4.png

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sorce I know you got all your oars in the water . But there not all rowing in the same direction. Kind of like myself . 😂😂. Only this week figured out you make pots 👍👍 very nice what I’ve seen . What are the chances of convincing you someday to ship to Canada
Lol, I mean super interesting video, I just wasn’t sure how he was correlating it to Chan’s book. @sorce you need to start sharing some of your Mary Jane with us. That stuff has gotta be some next level Alien marijuana. 😂😂 Or perhaps it’s another nectar of the God’s that you seek 🍄🧙🏻‍♂️

Taste

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know posts like this probably annoy the hell out of 99% of most the people on this forum, but I just love them, good fun if you ask me 🖖🏼👍🏼
With some of what gets tossed around in these forums. If these pics are what fluffs feathers I’ll be happy to wear the tar.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I don't even know what my life is doing as of late, but should things change for the positive, this should be able to happen.

Sorce

Pyewacket

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Recently I finally got my hands on a copy of Vince Pitelka's "Clay: A Studio Handbook", which is essentially a "Bible" of pottery practices.

It is encyclopedic in its breadth, and unfortunately (I say with utmost respect for Vince Pitelka whose knowledge and skill now and forever far exceed my own) also encyclopedic in depth. E.g. lots of mostly pretty shallow articles. But you can't argue with the man's expertise. My god he covered damn near EVERYTHING pottery in that book.

I would have been badly disappointed had I paid $35 to $50 for that book, but it was worth the read as a library loan. Also well worth it for the neophyte potter. Just not someone who's been at it a while, but then it wasn't intended for that audience.

I have a lot of respect for Peter Chan. I also just like watching/listening to his videos. I like his attitude. I like his sass. I think his book is well worth $2, honestly probably more even if it IS encyclopedic in the way described above. I AM a neophyte on this subject (actually interest was stirred when I started researching the making of bonsai pots). Seems kind of churlish to snark about a $2 book from someone who has won something like 20 awards for his bonsai and has 8 published books. The man obviously has SOMETHING going for him.

Me, I'm just waiting for my new eReader.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Welcome to Crazy!

It's hard work.

Sorce
Don't know if you're serious about the religious stuff, BUT "bible" has never been just a term for one book--

From Oxford dictionary--

"INFORMAL
a book regarded as authoritative in a particular sphere.
"“Larousse Gastronomique,” the bible of French cooking"

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't know if you're serious about the religious stuff, BUT "bible" has never been just a term for one book--

From Oxford dictionary--

"INFORMAL
a book regarded as authoritative in a particular sphere.
"“Larousse Gastronomique,” the bible of French cooking"
Another example is the Family Bible. Not as common a thing as they once were, but essentially it was a family history, sometimes in the form of curated journal/diary entries from each generation. Occasionally someone might sit down and condense those stories in to more narrative form just to save thickness of the book and make for easier reading.
Given the format similarities between this and the Holy Bible, we can clearly see that term bible is very much NOT specific to one usage, though it seems to be heading that way.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Anyways, Yeah, I'm always skeptical of anyone who self-titles their book a bible.
Example, my dad got me a book for Christmas one year titled The Bushcraft Bible, but none of it applied outside New England. Not much of a bible if you can't apply it broadly.

That said, I imagine Peter Chan can do a better job of general application.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My comments were in reference to . The word Bible in reference to a particular subject if interest . Let’s say the sailing bible would be the complete book on the subject of sailing . As in everything known about the subject . I’m sure the book is easily worth 2 $ and I’m sure is a good read . But bonsai bible 😂😂😂😂

Top Bottom