Peter Wilson's Garden, trees and more

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi there Folks,
I wanted to share with you some photos that I took of Peter Wilson's garden here in our little corner of the Pacific Northwest.
Our little club is so lucky to have Peter along with A. Nijhuis who are both known to many along the west coast of NA.
My photographic skills are not the best but I think you can get a good idea of the quality of Peter’s trees.
Hope you enjoy.
Cheers
Gman

Attachments

• Peter Wilson'sEntranceCw.jpg
    Peter Wilson'sEntranceCw.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Peter Wilson's Contort'dContorta.jpg
    Peter Wilson's Contort'dContorta.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Peter Wilson's Cw.jpg
    Peter Wilson's Cw.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 138
  • Peter Wilson's Display Area.jpg
    Peter Wilson's Display Area.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Peter Wilson's HmTwin.jpg
    Peter Wilson's HmTwin.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 141

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
More photos

a few more......

Attachments

• Peter Wilson's Limestonedisplay.jpg
    Peter Wilson's Limestonedisplay.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Peter Wilson's Lime'stones.jpg
    Peter Wilson's Lime'stones.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Peter Wilson'sLimestone.jpg
    Peter Wilson'sLimestone.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Peter Wilson's MassiveHm.jpg
    Peter Wilson's MassiveHm.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Peter Wilson's Pl.jpg
    Peter Wilson's Pl.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 116

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
some more

some more.
Enjoy G

Attachments

• Peter Wilson's Sson Limestone.jpg
    Peter Wilson's Sson Limestone.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Peter Wilson's Trident.jpg
    Peter Wilson's Trident.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Peter Wilson'sHmInformalfront.jpg
    Peter Wilson'sHmInformalfront.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Peter Wilson'sSs3.jpg
    Peter Wilson'sSs3.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Peter Wilson'sPl#4e.jpg
    Peter Wilson'sPl#4e.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 110

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Love the cascade contorta.Would like to see someone refine it a bit.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Love seeing high quality Canadian yamadori. Mtn hemlock are such a beautiful species, wish I could grow them in Ontario :(

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great pix of great trees, Graham! Thanks for posting those.

Did he get those limestones from Hal's claim, or find them on his own? Spectacular stuff.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should we all know who Peter Wilson is?

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Impressive. I think I'll go throw most of my stuff out now...

Thanks for posting, what a great yard.

Colorado Slim

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Impressive. I think I'll go throw most of my stuff out now...

lol, me too...

His stuff is impressive. I don't know who Peter Wilson is, but perhaps I should... does he have a blog or site?

fore

Omono
Reaction score
That is a brilliant looking garden, stone, and bonsai! Huge old specimens, makes my collection pretty lame too guys ;)

Thanks for posting the pics ghues!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should we all know who Peter Wilson is?

Oh, probably not, Al.

He's featured in the chapter, "Pete's Peak and Pete's Bog" in my book, a chapter about a collecting trip Dan and I took to Vancouver Island. We collected with George Heffelfinger at the high alpine bog Peter had discovered, and which Dan and George named after him. We then met him to collect in the lowland bog similarly discovered by Peter (and Dan) and named after him by Dan and George.

He's a very nice man. An ex-whaler, he settled on the Island years ago along the West coast, and spent years or decades exploring remote areas of the island for salmon fishing. He finally settled in Port Alice and then Port Hardy with his wife, Lorraine, a lovely woman who is a local from the Island. They moved to Campbell River in recent years.

While he was traipsing all over the Island, he saw trees that he collected to make into bonsai, and did so for years before he hunted down someone who knew about the hobby and referred him to George.

George was impressed, not only with the trees Peter had collected, but with his self-taught styling skills. He introduced him to the local bonsai folks, and shortly thereafter Peter won the "best new artist" award at the Pacific NW Bonsai convention, and received a scholarship to go study for a while in Japan, if I remember correctly.

Peter has started several bonsai clubs in northern VI. He is one of the nicest men I've ever met.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does anyone know if Peter user wires on his trees? Most of his specimens do not look like they been wired which is how I like. They look so natural.....
NN

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Art-Rod,
I believe that Peter doesn’t do anything special as far as winter shelter for his yamadori trees. Although I’m sure that some of the smaller ones may spend some time in the greenhouse (as does his trident).

Hi Will – I believe that some of the pieces did come from Hals and many of the others he found himself. He also showed us your book….WOW and Congratulations on a fine job…..although I did have a hard time prying it from his clutches (as I don’t think he wants to get many finger prints on it) LOL

Smoke – (and thanks Will for your input on Smokes question). Peter is like many of you folks that have been doing this for a long time. The difference being he did a lot of it himself learning the hard way without having access to knowledgeable folks until he met up with the Victoria club and Dan R (south of the 49th)....who as Will alluded too has been making an annual trek up this way for years now. He also is very modest about his own skills and doesn’t spend much time of the web, as he’d rather be working on his trees. Smoke you need to come up for a visit.

NN – Yes Peter does wire his trees and if you look closely you’ll see some with it still on. He did point out that this is the time of year he takes it off as well as pruning his hemlocks. He’ll them wait until late fall and winter and wire them all up again.
Cheers G

Top Bottom