Peve Minaret bald cypress progression

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like this tree a lot. Multiple people have told me to cut the crossing root, and I might, but for now I like it. Something different. One thing I do plan to do is to raise the soil level a bit. That will soften the crossing root and make the others more realistic. One thing I'm struggling with is how tall to make it. My original plan was around 24" but honestly I kind of like it at it's current 36" height. I have time to decide as it has a lot of branch growing to do.

20180602_185851.jpg20180620_071305.jpg20180804_150107.jpg20180804_150128.jpg20180804_150137.jpg

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Would love to get my hands on one of these. One thing to consider with that crossing root, besides the aesthetic considerations, is that because it is attached to the trunk so much higher than the other roots it will, over time, contribute to reverse taper in the base of your trunk.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Basically the trunk will become skinnier underneath where that root is attached.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Let me rephrase that, it won’t become skinnier underneath, it will thicken moreso above the root.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would love to get my hands on one of these. One thing to consider with that crossing root, besides the aesthetic considerations, is that because it is attached to the trunk so much higher than the other roots it will, over time, contribute to reverse taper in the base of your trunk.
I have to agree, remove that root sooner rather than later or you might regret it.

@Cable, what are you planning for this - formal upright conifer style with drooping branches, or something else?

Reactions: Vin

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Really? I did not know that. @markyscott, you're the BC expert, right? Do you concur?

I like it because it is different but I don't want inverse taper.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Really? I did not know that. @markyscott, you're the BC expert, right? Do you concur?

I like it because it is different but I don't want inverse taper.

I wouldn’t characterize myself as a BC expert, but I’ve worked with them a lot. I agree with the previous comments - that root will likely cause reverse taper at the base and I would remove it. It’s not attractive anyway.

As an aside - I’ve worked with Peve Minaret before. I have to caution you that they’re even more difficult to work with than regular bald cypress. I’d characterize them as a very challenging species and I’ve never seen any Peve Minaret with more than rudimentary branching.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
One other thing - all Peve Minaret I’ve ever seen are grafted. Make sure to eliminate all the shoots from below the graft union.

S

Drcuisine

Yamadori
Reaction score
I’ve been trying to find one of these trees for a while. Should anyone be chopping a branch during dormant season I would be happy to pay to generously trade for even small scion wood. I’ve been grafting for a while but last year was my first year grafting Taxodium. Turns out these are pretty easy to graft or I had beginners luck. Love learning about all the unusual spices. May be a longshot to ask for Zion, but I thought I would put out the word just in case someone has an extra branch or knows of a reasonable source.

Mats hagstrom m d at g mail

Top Bottom