pH correction of my Hornbeams and Field Maple

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do these trees need alkaline soil? I used bark in all my mixes and I think the soil turned a bit too sour after a couple months. And can they withstand chalk? I have horticultural chalk (something like that) and I could dilute some wood ash in water which should also raise pH. Of my Korean Hornbeam, Oriental Hornbeam and Field Maple, I am most convinced that the latter is suffering from this issue. The leaves got lighter and lighter during the year. Dont have any pics to show.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do these trees need alkaline soil? I used bark in all my mixes and I think the soil turned a bit too sour after a couple months. And can they withstand chalk? I have horticultural chalk (something like that) and I could dilute some wood ash in water which should also raise pH. Of my Korean Hornbeam, Oriental Hornbeam and Field Maple, I am most convinced that the latter is suffering from this issue. The leaves got lighter and lighter during the year. Dont have any pics to show.
Neither like alkaline soil. Slightly acidic is the sweet spot.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think its pH could be as low as 5, and from internet sources Im reading field maple likes come chalk. I'll throw some at it and see what happens

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think its pH could be as low as 5, and from internet sources Im reading field maple likes come chalk. I'll throw some at it and see what happens
You can test the pH leachate. Link is below. Water the container to saturation, then let it drain for an hour, come back and pour a small amount of distilled water in to displace the saturated pore space water. Collect and test the pH of that water.

Your irrigation water likely has high alkalinity. You should be able to get a water report if you are on a public water supply. That alkalinity and pH may be offset if you get sufficient rainfall.

Top Bottom