Philadelphus lewisii?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
AKA Lewis mock orange or syringa. Any opinions on this species as a possible bonsai? I have multiple bushes of this growing at my place and one really needs to be removed.
I've been putting it off for a few years, its probably been growing there for 30+ year and I know its going to be a chore getting it out if the ground. Now I'm wondering if it might be a decent subject?
I did cut it back to 2 feet or so, just to get the limbs out of the way and I don't actually remember what the stump looks like and right now, its under a foot of snow. I do know its a clump with multiple trunks, mostly straight. The largest might be 3-4 inches across.
It will be a ton of work and I am a absolute beginner but since its destined for the burn pile, I might as well learn on it.

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
Welcome to BNut, @GailC. I used to live in extreme South Ontario. There were a couple growing around somewhere on the property. You made me remember the lovely white flowers and their outstanding perfume. Cannot grow them where i live now, more's the pity. Why not try a dig just before budbreak. Research collecting this winter and have a go. Please fill in your location, or at least climate zone in your profile.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like a subject fish the carving block!

Why Not?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
There lovely scent is one reason I keep the unruly trees on the property. The ones by the front door scent the house and whole front yard. Its a wonderful species and they seem to grow fast or at least bounce back from trimming quickly.
Not sure if the one I had plans for will work but if not, I'm sure I can find another since they grow like weeds arounds here. We don't have a lot of interesting native trees here but I hope to find a few different varieties this spring.
I find myself wondering if I can talk my grandmother into letting me remove her old wisteria that she hates and hey, maybe mom will let me dig her almost dead, its been growing in the weeds too long flowering almond:) I think I'll fit in with the crazy here just fine.

Top Bottom