Phillyrea (mock privet)

boguz

Mame
Reaction score
Hi nuts
Last years yamdori phillyrea (not sure its common name, its in olive family). It has a natural conic shape (it might be a plant tumor maybe). Its growing slow for now, but i like its potential. If you have any comments i ll be happy :)

Attachments

• 6FF5AFDE-CE0E-4D32-8034-705DCA3CBB89.jpeg
    6FF5AFDE-CE0E-4D32-8034-705DCA3CBB89.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 57

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The bark texture of that base doesn’t look like a bacterial gall to me, just a really nice base. It would be cool to figure out why that formed like that.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have messed around with a few phillyreas from nurseries. Generally phillyrea angustifolia, which has a more elongated leaf than yours (phillyrea latifolia). They look like clumps, with many trunks coming out from the ground, but if you dig down they all join together under the surface. If you cut off most of the 'trunks', you can get a highly-tapered conical trunk. It is generally too tapered to be credible, but sometimes it works out. The picture below is an example of a freshly-excavated cone.

20160402_18_bonsai_phillyrea_angustifolia_4.jpg

Yours is natural however with, no chopping off of multiple trunks. Perhaps the bottom of the trunk naturally swells before the emitting these trunks/branches.

With slightly more mature plants you can get some interesting results. The following three photos show: 1) a plant as I bought it, 2) the same plant several hours later, and 3) the plant after about 5 months.

20160402_04_bonsai_phillyrea_angustifolia_5.jpg 20160403_06_bonsai_phillyrea_angustifolia_5.jpg 20161008_01_bonsai_phillyrea_angustifolia_5.jpg

Top Bottom