Phoenix graft with shimpaku whips.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found these two old stumps this weekend. They look dark, because I just got them home and washed all the dirt off. I had pulled them out of the ground were they had been dead for the better part of 40 years near Austin Texas. I'm planning on attempting to do a Phoenix graft with one or both. My question is does anyone now where to by some shimpaku juniper whips? image.jpgimage.jpg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
How many ya want? I should have them in stock sometime next week.

This is what they will look like 2inch_shimp_starter.jpg Let me know if these fit your needs.

Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trying to find something much longer as the stumps are pretty big. Looking for something about 2 to three feet long.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi jkd.. Probably what you are looking for is a young shimpaku tree, not a whip. Normally, when a phoenix graft is done. They use one young tree. This allows you to have multiple branches to work with. Also, you only have one root ball to plant. If you use whips, you are going to have to transplant a bunch of root balls. Also, seeing as how you have an excellent piece of driftwood. You probably should cut it down and carve it into a smaller and more pleasing and flowing design.

There is one instance where I have heard of using small whips for a Tanuki. This was done by Kimura. He actually grew the whips with triangular root balls. Then he carved the channels in the back and planted the whips into various areas of the wood. In time, he said that the whips root balls or triangles, would grow down the channel and into the soil. This is a very involved process. I would just go with maybe one young tree with many branches and use that.

Rob

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm also thinking about using the hole you can see on the second stump and hollowing it out all the way to the bottom. I could then plant the material in that hole and you would not be able to see the fake graft from either side. This is a long term project as I have a lot of wood work to do before ever planting anything. It could be a epic failure or a pretty fun project. Can't wait to start. First thing I'm going to do is cut the bases off level. Then I'm going to use a wire brush on a power tool to clean every thing off. I'm then going to break off a couple of the the longest limbs to creat more balance. Then on to lime sulfur and experimentation with some wood hardener. I will update the progress.

HumbleTrees

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Have you done any work to the stumps? Can anyone suggest a good wood hardener or other preservative for stumps?

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpgimage.jpg

I carved out the channel. Then screwed the shimpaku into place. Now I'm going to let it sit and grow freely for a few years. I first used lime sulfur on the wood the coated it with two coats of min wax wood hardener. It looked glossy for about two months. Then it dulled out and looks fine now.

Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I plan to carve it, but I am going to wait to see if my shimp lives through the screwing process. I did this during the replanting season and waiting until a boring slow time of year to have that project.

Top Bottom