photos of some figs

Reaction score
Just returned from down a little south of me, and thought I might post a couple of pics of the wildlife I found for those who like tropicals...

evan.j

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow!!! Very insparational photos stacy. I could look at those trees all day. Have anymore?

Thanks for posting these.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
2 questions:what species of ficus do you have in florida? + in picture 2 [the strangler fig] is that commonplace there?-in S.A. a lot of our figs are stranglers but i have never seen a bonsai depicting this.....

Reaction score
Jason, as to what types of ficus do we have here in florida... That is a very good question, to which I even had to look it up, for there are alot!!! The following is what I found...

Florida nurserymen have listed some 43 different species and cultivars of Ficus
SPECIES AND CULTIVARS

Ficus benjamina, the weeping fig, Some cultivars of the species are listed below:
`Florida Spire'
`Golden Princess'
`Jacqueline', also sold as `Golden King'
`Spearmint'
`Wintergreen'
Ficus elastica, the India rubber tree, several cultivars listed below:
`Decora'
`Doescheri'
`Robusta'
`Rubra' also listed under the names `Burgundy' and `Abidjan'.
`Sophia'
Ficus lyrata, the fiddleleaf fig, The cultivar `Compacta'
Ficus maclellandi `Alii', sometimes called the Alii fig
Ficus retusa `Green Gem' is a patented cultivar
Ficus retusa `Nitida', the Cuban laurel fig
Ficus retusa `Hawaii'

Now, I believe this to be a list of plants that are in production, for I know for a fact that there are some that aren't on this list such as:
Ficus benghalensis
Ficus Macrocarpa ‘Green Island’
Ficus aurea, Florida strangler fig
Ficus laevisata, the shortleaf fig
To name a few...

As far as seeing strangler figs as bonsai, biggest prob. is leaf size... but you might find this interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjJMHdaxMco

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You forgot to mention the alligator fig.:D

We go collectin up here the most we worry about is black flies, and Skeeters, the occasional rattler, hate to think about being stalked while collecting.

Reaction score
BillS this is true, ha,ha,ha... I have to say though, they usually take off. Funny thing is that we grew up swimming in the same lakes and rivers as them and never had any problems.
Lately things have changed, since a lot of people have been feeding them.
The one in the photo was actually only a couple of feet away.
I think the worst for me is when I came way to close for comfort to a water mocassin while collecting a bald cypress, and it scared the Shit out of me, I am just thankful it fled instead of attacked!!! I didn't even see it... YIKES !!!!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
BillS this is true, ha,ha,ha... I have to say though, they usually take off. Funny thing is that we grew up swimming in the same lakes and rivers as them and never had any problems.
Lately things have changed, since a lot of people have been feeding them.
The one in the photo was actually only a couple of feet away.
I think the worst for me is when I came way to close for comfort to a water mocassin while collecting a bald cypress, and it scared the Shit out of me, I am just thankful it fled instead of attacked!!! I didn't even see it... YIKES !!!!

Ahh, you found my missing memory, had one of those SOB's not let go of my finger until I squeezed it by the neck till I thought it's head would pop off. Some small kid hooked it fishing and I saw what was going to happen so I tried to get the snake. I was just a bit too far behind the head, they sure can twist around. The ranger didn't believe me, until the kid dropped it at his feet, then I told him what to do so he wouldn't panic.

Don't forget now you have those nice Burmese pythons to play with.:eek:

Top Bottom