Photos or it didn't happen...

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The best thing which happened to certain African species are private game reserves. Mega rich private individuals who just want 10,000 acres with lions on it. Why? Because they can. And they enforce the shit out of access.

And if they can make money off managed hunts from a sustainable population, all the better.

All the liberal good intentions and nickel/dime zoo revenue pales in comparison to Ted Turner simply wanting to own a bunch of bison on a bunch of land with the stroke of a pen on a check. No red tape when money talks!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Watching the video we make for presentations for our mission field. There is a photo of my husband in an apron...and he's beside one of the Honduran helpers we hired. Below it is "Forced to cook" . (((GASP!))) HE DIDN'T COOK! I on the other hand DID help in the kitchen preparing meals when not otherwise occupied with other things that also needed my attention...my son looks over his shoulder and laughs...PHOTO OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! Well...I laughed so hard...Tears ran down my face.

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
And that's where they're wrong. An animal in captivity is not in the wild so they don't act the same.
The only agenda zoos and circuses have is their wallets.
They can say what they want but it's all about the money.
They've had plenty of time to do research.
What more do we need to know?
And people need to keep their kids on a tighter leash. I bet if little Johnny had been disciplined right earlier in his life we wouldn't even be having this talk. Too many prizes for just participating not enough swats.

In general yes zoos are pretty abysmal, but the thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is having a healthy gene pool. As it stands many critically endangered species have such small populations left in the wild that inbreeding and negative genetic mutations are a major concern which can push breeding groups/pairs etc into further decline. As sad as it is, having viable breeding populations in captivity actually gives a little more hope that numbers can be increased and reintroduced into either existing ranges, or sometimes new viable areas for population. Depends what the underlying causes of extinction threat is, and whether human intervention can feasibly make a difference to stabilise and increase numbers.

There is almost always more research that can be done and more information carried out on any species - most of the valuable, accurate research about dietary requirements and habitual behaviours is relatively recent in the grand scheme of things. That's often the most important knowledge in understanding population decline where the obvious factors like poaching or habitat loss aren't the main contributing factor.

Take the Giant panda for example... you rarely hear people complaining about pandas being kept in captivity and bred because without human intervention they'd probably be long gone by now.

Places like Seaworld can go suck a f**k though. Keeping a whale in a fish tank is like locking someone in a closet and beating them with a stick until they consent to you beating them with a bat.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It is my understanding that whale exhibits are going to be closed down once the remaining animals have passed away. They cannot be released because they are not equipped to survive in the wild.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's PICS:
"Pics or it never happened"

I'm sure that is why he was offended, it was the use of the wrong word... LOL

This is pretty stupid if someone was so offended over a little smart remark like that!
Increasingly stupid that the person would ask YOU to ignore THEM. Clearly they can't even figure out how to use the website.. if they were offended by you they should just ignore YOU.. then it wouldn't matter if you were seeing their posts or not, they'd never know. I wouldn't worry about it... that much ignorance. You are better off ignoring them. I'm inclined to try to figure out who this was now...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is my understanding that whale exhibits are going to be closed down once the remaining animals have passed away. They cannot be released because they are not equipped to survive in the wild.
Yes I saw this.
I saw a video where the whales teamed up to hurt the handler purposely.

Top Bottom