[phototropism&growth] Would a tree get rotated *constantly* for maximal growth-rates?

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Phototropism: growth of plants towards light source(s)

We're customarily rotating our bonsai-trees so they get better - NO, more-even - lighting. Some do it on a schedule, you may alter this schedule on specific plants to favor growth on (and towards) a particular side but in-general rotation seems "a norm"

I've personally only rotated "as a rule" if/when reboxing, or moving, a specimen. I don't have a schedule, I don't go and pick up & turn a box in-place, almost *never*

That said, for "more balanced growth", it's been crossing my mind that constant rotation (ie a 3-rotations-daily turntable or something) would actually be most efficient at generating "an even/balanced canopy", and while I'm not saying I'd make turntables I've realized I already have a bunch since I remove the tops of desk-chairs to use as "rotating, wheeled legs" for bonsai-stands, so I can literally just spin trees with a finger (some trees), and it's been crossing my mind "why not just spin it, randomly, any time you walk-by?" and I cannot think of a good reason why not to do that! Then again, I see very balanced canopies daily on in-ground, mature trees that have never gotten 1 rotation!

Thoughts on rotating-trees, and the resultant effect on growth patterns, would be incredibly appreciated :D

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Phototropism: growth of plants towards light source(s)

We're customarily rotating our bonsai-trees so they get better - NO, more-even - lighting. Some do it on a schedule, you may alter this schedule on specific plants to favor growth on (and towards) a particular side but in-general rotation seems "a norm"

I've personally only rotated "as a rule" if/when reboxing, or moving, a specimen. I don't have a schedule, I don't go and pick up & turn a box in-place, almost *never*

That said, for "more balanced growth", it's been crossing my mind that constant rotation (ie a 3-rotations-daily turntable or something) would actually be most efficient at generating "an even/balanced canopy", and while I'm not saying I'd make turntables I've realized I already have a bunch since I remove the tops of desk-chairs to use as "rotating, wheeled legs" for bonsai-stands, so I can literally just spin trees with a finger (some trees), and it's been crossing my mind "why not just spin it, randomly, any time you walk-by?" and I cannot think of a good reason why not to do that! Then again, I see very balanced canopies daily on in-ground, mature trees that have never gotten 1 rotation!

Thoughts on rotating-trees, and the resultant effect on growth patterns, would be incredibly appreciated :D
It depends...Trees in the ground don't move, so location of a bonsai is deciding factor. If a bonsai is in a location that gets full sun--east to west exposure, rotating is not really needed all that much. If a bonsai is in a location that gets less sun exposure, like up against a fence or other object that limits light, rotation can indeed help. I have most of my trees on stands that have lazy susan turntables mounted on them-you can get the basic turntables at Home Depot for $12 or so. They tend not to be big enough for large trees, but you can attach longer slats to them as needed. And spinning them three times a day is kind of ridiculous. One 180 degree turn, or quarter turn, every few days, or once a week, etc. is more like it.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
because it just makes sense to rotate your trees. ever been to a nursery and seen a tree thats been sat in one corner for months or years. some will only have branches on one side. in the wild a tree sat in the middle of a field without many trees in close proximity will have balanced growth on most sides.
you can use rotating turntables on your benches theyre very common. i turn on random occasions maybe every few days or week, some turn every 3 weeks etc

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It depends...Trees in the ground don't move, so location of a bonsai is deciding factor. If a bonsai is in a location that gets full sun--east to west exposure, rotating is not really needed all that much. If a bonsai is in a location that gets less sun exposure, like up against a fence or other object that limits light, rotation can indeed help. I have most of my trees on stands that have lazy susan turntables mounted on them-you can get the basic turntables at Home Depot for $12 or so. They tend not to be big enough for large trees, but you can attach longer slats to them as needed. And spinning them three times a day is kind of ridiculous. One 180 degree turn, or quarter turn, every few days, or once a week, etc. is more like it.
thats true, the size of your garden and where exactly your trees are kept will play a role. i think its safe to say most have their trees closer to a wall or fence of an adjoining neighbour or close to the back wall of their house. unless like you yanks your garden is basically a field lol

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I usually rotate all my plants in pots every couple of weeks so one side doesn't get stronger than the other.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I (maybe naively) think of it this way. Maximal growth is achieved by maximizing the solar panels (i.e., leaves), assuming you have optimized all other conditions (water, nutrients, etc). If you leave a tree always facing in one direction, the sunny side will get more growth and shaded side will get less. I don't think it is a simple 1:1, so having more viable solar panels everywhere should increase growth. This is obviously less important if light is more evenly distributed as noted by @BobbyLane. Regardless of growth, you get a more balanced and likely more aesthetically pleasing tree if you rotate.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I rotate as necessary ... if i NEED the angle/over/time to be different...

The earth is moving something like 450 meters per second (don’t quote me) just on it’s axis.. that’s just ONE revolution set to anticipate or calculate.

I’ve found it beneficial to lay lines of chalk, throughout the day, at varying times of the year, documenting sunlight to “my area”.. this allowed me to better understand, on a larger scale, the kind of light I am REALLY working with.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’ve found it beneficial to lay lines of chalk, throughout the day, at varying times of the year, documenting sunlight to “my area”.. this allowed me to better understand, on a larger scale, the kind of light I am REALLY working with.
It's funny you mention this because it was really just last year that I finally "got the feeling" for where my sun's 'boundaries' are, seasonally! Changed a good deal of my positioning of trees based on it (I have a large # of big, hard to move stuff so for like 10% of my collection it's not a simple 'pick it up and move it' :p )

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It's funny you mention this because it was really just last year that I finally "got the feeling" for where my sun's 'boundaries' are, seasonally! Changed a good deal of my positioning of trees based on it (I have a large # of big, hard to move stuff so for like 10% of my collection it's not a simple 'pick it up and move it' :p )
Absolutely!!!

You THINK you have a good idea...

But when you document it.... you realize you only knew HALF of the story.

🤓

Top Bottom