Phytophthora Root Rot, repotting maple

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
expose or not to expose, that is the question (seriyu maple)

new maple see photos

risk root rot and recover feet? to further improve nebari.

leave open as nebari was exposed because pot was blown over at nursery?

photos include re-covered nebari (photo1) and 1/2 way to state i found it in, notice some drying this is 24hours post watering.
the soil level needs dropped further 3/4 inch form last photo so go back to way i found it. (which gets pretty amazing but could continue to get better)

IMG_0180.jpgIMG_0181.jpgIMG_0183.jpgIMG_0182.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure what you mean risk root rot by covering them. Rot doesn't really follow covering up roots.

The question of whether you should expose the nebari is that only you can really answer. You done developing the nebari? Expose it. If it needs more time to develop, bury it.

Covered roots develop and swell more quickly than those exposed to air and sunlight...

BTW, just because the wind blew the pot over doesn't negate any of the above ;)

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
yes i want even better nebari

sure i understand about traditional root rot

but i was concerned about crown. making areas on roots moist that were dry/exposed.

ive never recovered roots that were exposed.

www.onlinegardener.com/disease/Phytophthora root rot.pdf

i suppose as long as im using fee draining soil then low chance of Phytophthora.

my grow mix is turface pine fines grit and hydroton.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The risk of crown rot is pretty minimal in bonsai soil, especially free draining mixes.

I've never hesitated covering up nebari on collected material, as you can pretty much lose the entire nebari if it dries out soon after collection. I've left nebari submerged in soil for years in bonsai soil. Haven't had a problem...

Top Bottom