Phytotoxicity Reminder

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just a reminder that if you use both oil based sprays and sulfur, please be very, very careful. Residue, especially from some oil based sprays, can last for many weeks after application. Even months if the plants are sheltered from heavy rains, depending on which kind of oils are used. It is best to use only one or the other when treating your plants - either use sulfur based products and exclude all oil based, or the other way around. If you use both, you are at risk of killing your trees and should use great care. It can be done but if you forget what you used last and when, it could be fatal for your plants.

Also, here is a useful link on phytotoxicity in plants with common chemicals, and a list of some species some chemicals like malathion should never be used on:

http://www.grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_phytotoxicity_unexpected_danger/

And an excerpt below from that page that may be of particular interest to bonsai growers:

"Plant sensitivity Perhaps the most frequently observed phytotoxic damage is due to the fact that not all plants get along with all chemicals. For example, malathion, a commonly used insecticide, is phytotoxic to Hibiscus, Lantana, petunias, white pine (Pinus strobus), maples and many species of fern. Sulfur is toxic to Viburnum spp. Horticultural oils can harm tender new growth and foliage of particularly sensitive species such as mountain ash, beech and birch. Atrazine, a commonly used herbicide, selectively controls weeds in St. Augustinegrass but may damage ryegrass."

Hopefully none of you will make the mistake of applying any oil based and sulfur sprays in the same season to the same plants like I did years ago. The resulting damage, even though the sprays were applied weeks apart, was very sad.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Good to know.
I have killed a pine because of exactly that.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good to know.
I have killed a pine because of exactly that.

I am so sorry to hear this, Clicio. I hope it wasn't a particularly valuable one that you spent a lot of years or money on. It made me sick when I did it myself. Thankfully in my case the Neem oil I had used weeks before was mostly gone so only the older leaves died and all of the newer growth since that time was all right. Still, sulfur spray is very helpful against mites and some kinds of fungus so it's pretty useful stuff to have on hand. Lesson learned!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think the theme here is - make sure you know what you're spraying before you spray. Used properly, all the products in this thread have a purpose - but can be harmful if improperly applied.

I use neem oil as a default spray to handle a wide range of insect and fungal problems. Anything else and I go for a targeted specific response where I research the pathogen and find the best targeted solution that doesn't conflict with my neem oil.

Also note that timing is really important - particularly if you have flowering plants. I have 15 adult citrus trees and a bee hive on my property. Spray at the wrong time and I harm my bees. Don't spray, and my citrus are swarmed by insect pests.

Last edited:
Top Bottom