Pic backdrop?

flyinmanatee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Anyone have a way to make a low to no cost backdrop for taking pictures? A dyed sheet maybe? Not for fancy show quality bonsai photos but just a way to illustrate form or whatever for posted pics. No time for learning photoshop just yet either. Having said that I do enjoy seeing the cats, kids, garden gnomes etc.. and especially drink preferences used for sizing references.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Anyone have a way to make a low to no cost backdrop for taking pictures? A dyed sheet maybe? Not for fancy show quality bonsai photos but just a way to illustrate form or whatever for posted pics. No time for learning photoshop just yet either. Having said that I do enjoy seeing the cats, kids, garden gnomes etc.. and especially drink preferences used for sizing references.
First you have to decide on color and texture. See what others do. I wandered around a big fabric store, the only male, just the way I like it;;) and ended up with this when I want to get all formal and out of focus... Mostly I set the subject on the deck which is about 5' high with the wall as background.P1010032.JPG P1000225.JPG

Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I hang an old king size sheet from the eave gutter (with three clothes pins). Sit a table in front of the eave and drape the sheet over it. I use red and white; I suppose a blue sheet would also be nice.

If you wanna get serious, I imagine that a diffusion box would be just the thing. IIRC, @Chuah uses one.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'm using a cheap king-sized sheet too. Black tends to highlight the silhouette, while white tends to highlight details such as ramification. I doubt @MACH5 will mind using his RMJ shot as an example:
6174617296_IMG_8044.JPG IMG_1560.JPG
My setup is pretty redneck if you're standing in my studio, but effective. It's on the list to update. I may paint the wall flat white, and have the sheet as my black backdrop.
IMG_0854.JPG

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use a pull down shade at the end of the greenhouse. I'm sure a sheet will work just as well, if you can find somewhere to hang it easily from.

Top Bottom