Picea abies Nidiformis

Costistv

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I will buy a Norway Spruce Nidiformis.
It's in a 4,5 l plastic pot. Nice double trunk.
I would like to know what is the best thing to do in the beginning? Tease the roots a little bit and pot it up with a better drainage soil or few structural brunch cuttings and not touch the soil? Or it's safe to do them both?
I read it a good time to work on spruce now. I hope it's right.

Thanks

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Generally, I think it best to get it out of the dirt/potting-soil and into a bonsai substrate first.

Don't do any pruning (aside from removing clearly dead stuff) as that foliage is what powers root growth and recovery from the damage done in the course of making the soil-to-substrate change.

Don't start pruning/trimming (= working on it) until it is growing vigorously.

The soil --> substrate move can be done Aug/Sep (northern hemi) or in spring. I judge vigor by the subsequent foliage flush and how much budding it produces. As with most things, cut back to and existing node or to a bud. Any stem without a bud on the end will inevitably die back to the nearest bud/node.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you put your location in your profile they can give better advice. Welcome to the forum!

Costistv

Seedling
Reaction score
few pictures and foliage details. ( it's full of buds )
it looks like a bush, but the trunk is nice. @0soyoung , I will change the soil with well drainage substrate and pot it in a 7.5 l pot (this one is 4.5). I want to see how much trunk is under the top soil and maybe to decide the front. Then I will clean all the dead stuff and start to read about it.

Attachments

• 2020.10.21_1.jpg
    2020.10.21_1.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 2020.10.21_2.jpg
    2020.10.21_2.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 2020.10.21_3.jpg
    2020.10.21_3.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 2020.10.21_4.jpg
    2020.10.21_4.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 2020.10.21_1_foliage.jpg
    2020.10.21_1_foliage.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 2020.10.21_2_foliage.jpg
    2020.10.21_2_foliage.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 81

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
May be a bit late to Repot.

I'd want to cut off all the dead stuff, and maybe a tad more, before it's repotted, while it's firmly rooted in that container anyway.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Costistv

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm hoping, by this time, it has enough resources in the roots to support this foliage in spring.
It everything goes well I will report in late summer. But I have no rush.

Costistv

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks @0soyoung
I am new to bonsai and try to learn my trees.
On this one, I rely on its nursery roots. They look healthy, so I hope they will push the new buds. That's why I don't want to do a re-pot too soon. 😊

Costistv

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi, guys!
I have a question.

I placed this tree outside. The winter in UK is pretty wet. The soil is wet all the time now. (It is nursery, organic one)

Having the foliage reduced, the water circulation and evaporation process reduced, is any danger for the roots to rot?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is always a risk, but spruce cope well with 'wetter' soil conditions.
Sticky clay soil is what one needs to worry about as it has very little air filled porosity. You can always cover ithe soil with something like aluminum foil if it is getting 'gooey' wet.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just be careful cuz of it snows over it, and you don't have access, it could dry out.

Better to leave it out IMO, cuz it certainly is for me.

Mine was repotted into half a pond basket with a mix of nursery soil and DE and it's been fine waterlogged and completely frozen on the ground.

My Black Hills Spruce that was left waterlogged in it's nursery pot, had wet rotted the bottom mess off, not the pathogen root rot, just wet rot, and I was left with a nicely pottable surface root mass.

WP's circle of Spruce Keepers has mentioned a dry surface is bad for spruce.

Sorce

Costistv

Seedling
Reaction score
For better drainage I tilted all my trees. If you say that the spruce will handle it, I'm not worry about. For the moment, it rains a lot, but the temperature is about 5 most of the time.
My biggest concern is actually about my olive tree. I will apply aluminium foil on it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
olive tree

Reckon that'll be a bit more fickle, I'd begin to worry about oxygen exchange, almost better to ...
Maybe store it where Grandma used to keep her herbs.

Sorce

Top Bottom