Picea Glehnii Seeds, What to Do With Them?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I recently ordered a few hundred seeds of various species, and I have a good idea of what to do with all of them except for the Sachalin Spruce (picea glehnii) seeds.

There appears to be a lack of information on them. The website I purchased them from claimed they have a very high germination rate, >90%, but beyond that not much info as to care and growing conditions.

Does anyone have experience with them at all that could inform me of what soil I should sow them in, if I need shade cloth for them in the summer, etc. General care.

Thanks!
Joe

Also, I cannot find a source for carolina hemlock (psuedotsuga carolinia) seeds and so if anyone knows where I could purchase roughly 50 seeds that would be awesome!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They came in the mail today, which reminded me of this thread

Bump!

No one has any Sachalin/Sahkalin spruce bonsai? I just want to make sure I can give the seedlings the best possible enviornment.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sooo I did manage to germinate them and they are way smaller than I thought they would be!

Just look at them! They're adorable.
0604161535b.jpg
0604161541.jpg

Yeah these won't be ready for a while haha. Its a 2 inch pot for reference.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What company did you order from?
I almost want to say it was sheffields? I might be able to find an exact answer later, but I believe that's where.

I only had 1-3 survive, and they are still exceptionally small. Alot of that has to do with climate and underpotting though

Top Bottom