Picea Mariana (Black Spruce) and Larix Laricina (Tamarack) Collected fall 2021.

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
Greetings everyone. I hope this is the correct place to post these.

I live in a remote community in the Canadian Subarctic (Zone 1b/1a). Living here has finally given me an opportunity to practice bonsai, so I collected a few local trees last fall. I plan to gather more this spring once the snow melts and the ground thaws. Fall is an easier time to collect for me, since snow covers the ground sometimes well into June. The only things that can thrive up here are trees from the area that are used to the harsh winters (-45°C is common in Jan/Feb... and the wind is just brutal sometimes). I tapered down on watering in late fall when things got cooler, and buried them in the snow when winter hit to shelter them from the drying winds. These pictures were taken a few weeks ago, after they were removed from their snowy shelter. I'm pretty confident they survived, but time will tell.

All of them had compact, strong root systems when I dug them. The soil here is mostly a thin layer of decomposed organic matter and sphagnum on top of sand. The roots seem to prefer growing in the organic stuff, and don't go very deep. If you are interested, I can post photos of the collection process of the Tamarack Clump (it's actually one tree).

They will recover for at least two seasons before I do any work on them. So I don't expect to style any until at least fall 2023. For now I need them to adjust to their boxes. IMG-9333.jpgIMG-9325.jpgIMG-9272.jpgIMG-9279.jpgIMG-9286.jpgIMG-9304.jpgIMG-9310.jpg

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi there, welcome to the forum. I think you win the award for member in the coldest area, and by quite a bit!

Cool material, looking forward to see it progress.

Have you given any thought to building/getting a greenhouse or other form of heated cold storage facility? Are you in this particular area for the long term?

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of such an award! :eek:. But I'll graciously accept! It's actually a wonderful place to live.

As for a cold frame, yes I'd like to build something. For the time being, I was thinking of saving up for a hoop-house as it would be portable and affordable. We are living here long term but are expecting another child and currently saving for our own house. Once that's taken care of it would be nice to be able to have a place to view my trees during the winter months. I work for a man who owns a construction company so I'm sure I could set up a contract with them and they could build anything I want. Since the trees are just raw material, I think a hoop-house will be fine for the next couple of years until we get more established.

For anyone interested, here are some pictures of the Larix Clump I pulled. As you can see, the roots grow pretty close together and don't go deep into the sand. The whole thing was held down by a single little taproot. I just snipped it with secateurs and out it came! This is pretty indicative of the rest of the trees I collected.

Tamarack_Clump_01.jpgTamarack_Clump_02.jpgTamarack_Clump_03.jpgTamarack_Clump_05.jpgTamarack_Clump_06.jpg

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice finds .. love the tall spruce and that larch is gonna be nice for a clump style forest/ raft. Keep up posted on their recovery and transformations in the years following

Reactions: JPH

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First welcome my fellow Canuck . Nice trees I am curious where exactly do you live . I’m just south of Ottawa I find your description of the root balls very interesting . Mainly that there so shallow . It has been my experience that once even very cold hardy trees are in a pot where the roots freeze solid . They will withstand extreme cold but need protection from wind . Anyway welcome I think we all would appreciate some pics of even normal sized trees in such a harsh environment . Great for bonsai inspiration . Take care

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Nice location... and that's what I appreciate the most on this forum... people from all types of locations sharing experiences. Awesome! ... and happy to hear you like it up there.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that larch clump. I went out the other day with intent to dig a larch, but that sphagnum still frozen.

• Haha

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice...

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
First welcome my fellow Canuck . Nice trees I am curious where exactly do you live . I’m just south of Ottawa I find your description of the root balls very interesting . Mainly that there so shallow . It has been my experience that once even very cold hardy trees are in a pot where the roots freeze solid . They will withstand extreme cold but need protection from wind . Anyway welcome I think we all would appreciate some pics of even normal sized trees in such a harsh environment . Great for bonsai inspiration . Take care
Happy to be here! I'm in the James Bay area of northern Quebec. The spot where I do most of my collecting is decomposed organic matter and sphagnum/haircap/feather moss. Under that is pure sand. There are areas where roots go much deeper (like near swamps), so you have to look around for the right spots where things are easy to collect, at least that's been my experience so far. You are correct about them freezing. I cover them in snow so the ambient temps for them don't fall below 0°C and they have protection from the wind. Winters temps here drop down to -45°C in January/February, and the winds are insane. Here are a few pics again of he root balls of some of my trees. First two are the Larix Clump, and the other three are from the Piceas.

Tamarack_Clump_06.jpgTamarack_Clump_02.jpgMariana Roots 03.jpgMariana Roots 02.jpgMariana Roots 01.jpg.Winter_Cover.jpg

I like that larch clump. I went out the other day with intent to dig a larch, but that sphagnum still frozen.
Haha! Dude! I know the feeling! Lets stay vigilant!

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have the right idea for winter protection . But sorry can’t agree with you about the ambient temp under snow . If it’s -45c outside it’s well below freezing under the snow but that’s fine it’s the desiccation of the wind with frozen roots that needs avoided . Also snow gives stability to the temp something I feel is overlooked. My cold hardy trees I get them frozen well then I heated building for the winter and leave them there until the freeze thaw cycle is over in spring . Been successful for me freeze them and un thaw them once

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
But sorry can’t agree with you about the ambient temp under snow . If it’s -45c outside it’s well below freezing under the snow...
Frozentreehugger: You are absolutely correct! My bad! I looked into it and found a research paper that illustrates your point quite clearly. https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/rn/rn_ne3.pdf

Also found this nifty little table:
image_28169.jpg
In the future I'll be careful about what I post. I assumed something to be true without really fact checking anything. I've gotta be more careful!

Last edited:

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Frozentreehugger: You are absolutely correct! My bad! I looked into it and found a research paper that illustrates your point quite clearly. https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/rn/rn_ne3.pdf

Also found this nifty little table:
View attachment 435673
In the future I'll be careful about what I post. I assumed something to be true without really fact checking anything. I've gotta be more careful
No reason to be more careful we are all in this together . Sharing info is what this is all about . You have great material hate to see it go badly . Like I said if you he tree is frozen roots and trunk it’s loss of moisture . Like from wind that is the devil . The snow will keep the temp more constant and remove the drying effect . Like I said I feel the thaw and re freeze is dangerous . And at your extreme location the small branch tips and buds in direct contact with snow that cold may be not good . May want to consider wrapping the stuff up before you bury it . But I’m amazed they survive in the wild with that shallow root system .🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ I look at your spruce trying to figure out the factors . Is the foliage only at the top because the rest is buried in snow or are they competing for light 🤷‍♂️ Like I said love to see more pics of the environment Amazing to think that anything alive and essentially full of water can survive that Extreme temp. Us northerners may have a better understanding or appreciation of what the extreme cold can destroy keep the pics and info coming it’s fascinating Luke when do buds break in the spring

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
May want to consider wrapping the stuff up before you bury it .
I want to build a cold-frame of some sort. Finances are tight so I was thinking of a hoop-house or a similar structure. Unheated.
Is the foliage only at the top because the rest is buried in snow or are they competing for light
I wonder if it's a bit of both? The long spindly one (probably my favorite so far) was definitely shaded out. The smaller twin-trunked spruce was actually sort of in the open, but all the lower branches were dead, so I removed them during the collection process for convenience. Check out the base on it though! No idea why it grew like this. Maybe it was two separate trees?
IMG-9323.jpg
But it's interesting... I see a lot of examples of spruces here who's lower branches get forced down into the soil over time from the weight of the snow crushing them. They seem to layer themselves and form new trees.

Look at this bad boy! 🤤
IMG-9350.jpg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don’t know what your housing situation is . But first thing that comes to mind is 3 sided simple cold frame using the house as a back wall . You will be surprised how much heat will leak thru the wall . Go to Canada Bonsai. He is also a member here his suggestion for winter storage on his web sight. Is very good . Even gas estimates for heating costs

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
We're currently saving for our own house for our new family. We currently live in a house though with full access to a yard.

I just checked out their website and it looks like a good solution. I don't think I'll need a heater for the time being. I have little to no interest in imported species. That might change once I'm more established (and skilled)... but I just love the native species so much. I work for a guy who owns a construction company, I could talk to him about getting a frame built.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some stuff to think about . I’m pretty confident your in uncharted waters bonsai in your climate . Example I overwinter my hardy trees in no light pots frozen no light no need of moisture complete dormancy . There is evidence that some light in winters is Beneficial and roots will grow in unfrozen . So uncharted waters you build a cold frame no heat we both know northern winter light can be intense . So roots frozen -45c outside slight warmer I. Frame but we’ll bellow freezing how much light before plant needs water from frozen roots🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ There is no doubt the frame could extend your season but there is new concerns fluctuations in frame temp day to night may induce growth before rootball un freezes . I’m not saying don’t do it but I heated cold frame in -45 c ambient is not something that that there is going to be a lot of info on good luck. Keep us posted I far one am very curious as I’m sure others are

JPH

Mame
Reaction score
Given the fact that your trees stay 100% frozen in the dark for the winter and do fine, I might go with that approach. The days are short but bright in the winter here, but come spring time the days really start getting long and I'd be worried about the heat buildup from the sun in a greenhouse-type frame. A shed with a few regular windows I can open for ventilation might be better...And I'd have a place to visit my trees in the winter when I go through tree withdrawals!

A little after-work-update: Both of my Tamaracks are starting to push! Very pleasant way to start the weekend!
IMG-9403.jpg

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is evidence that some light is better to set buds and conifers are better with some light . But we all have are limitations my winter storage is a old garage building ( my house is over 100 years old so garage pre dates cars 1.2 the building is a closed insulated room I can add heat but don’t no window no light freeze trees on benches then inside a plus u feel is they have lots of room not crowded in heart of winter I will open door and use a fan for air exchange . In spring I leave them until I’m sure they will come out and un thaw and not refreeze Don’t open door in spring so they stay cold no thaw refreeze the dicid are delayed compared to outside and the conifers loss a slight amount of colour barely noticeable. Both respond and catch up quick in the sun I have learned not to light pamper them everything even shade lovers gets full sun to wake up . Try to nail that early spring rain spell to thaw them out 2 weeks full sun min or till buds start to break for dicid . If you go this route you need to have rodent protection mice will eat cambium . Dryer sheets around lower trunk and traps. I know a lot will not agree with me but as far as I’m concerned if you go cold frame / greenhouse you need to go all in large enough for air movement and fans and heated and vent control to keep temp stable just above freezing Anything less and your just swapping one problem for others I have experience with this not with bonsai but tree nursery job in my youth small confined cold frame very hard to thermo regulate

Top Bottom