picea nidiformis digging

Reaction score
I have a Picea about 20 years old it was 14 feet acros and about 4 feet high, I have removed all the low branches leaving me a top aproximately 4 feet by 4 feet by 4 feet, and a trunk 12 inches across. The low branches had all rooted and so huge amounts of roots have been removed. I have dug a trench around the tree and cut all thick roots (not many at all) of and refilled with much grittier soil . The tree is growing in very thick dense clay.
Do you think it will survive digging next autumn and planting in a large purpose built wooden box in proper bonsai soil ( having washed of most of the clay. This will give it a full growing season to produce new rooys

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd aim for July/August. Tree should have hardened new foliage for recovery as well as time to grow before temperatures drop below 40F. Buds for next season should be set before you lift it. IMHO, this is THE time for repotting pretty much all conifers.

Reaction score
Wow, confused All info I have relating to conifers says spring repotting, but this is in the UK I guess???? your winter is much colder and longer??

Top Bottom