picea pg05

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi again mates, long time no see... 😁

Among the 20 or so Picea pungens "Glauca" that I sowed, this is the only one I've got left. Some of them died, others were not "glauca", I gave some, and sold (the best) one to a friend.

I had this "number 5" that had lost most of it lower branches. It's getting hotter and drier here every year, not the ideal place for Picea...

August 2019 :

picea_pg05_190819a.jpg picea_pg05_190819b.jpg picea_pg05_190819virt1.jpg

September 2021 :

picea_pg05_210901a.jpg picea_pg05_210901b.jpg

August 2022 :

picea_pg05_220810b.jpg

January 22nd, 2023 :

picea_pg05_230122a.jpg picea_pg05_230122b.jpg

I should have removed the bark when it was still green and supple underneath, I know.

The dead trunk may seem a bit too long, but I like it this way for the moment.

I wonder what the roots are like, if I can repot it in a "transitional" smaller pot...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I would tilt the tree to the left, shorten the dead piece and bend the branch up. But since you're not me do whatever you want ofcourse

I wouldn't... ;)

I mean, that's one of the options I've been thining about, good guess mate.

But to me, the slight angle of the trunk below the first branch tells the story of tree whose top died (Lightning, wind, other... ?), but the winds are blowing from the other side of the living branch. Yes, in the real world, the dead trunk would certainly be shorter.

But, ... maybe I'd opt for an "unconventional" bonsai : a very geometric one, more "art moderne" than "art déco". Rather straight lines with kind of "regular" patterns.

So far, it doesn't matter, really. And when someone takes it over, it will be even better I'm sure :cool:

The overall shape(s) being triangular to the point of almost an extended parody :

picea_pg05_230122b-v2.jpg

Last edited:

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I've shortened the dead piece :

picea_pg05_230131c.jpg

I'll repot it in a few weeks.

Since it will be the first repotting in years, I don't know what the roots are like. I'll just put it in a smaller, plain terracota pot for the moment...

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first part (naked section) of the branch needs more drama, in my opinion. You need movement as stark as the rigidity of the trunk for the image to work. I would have it drop way more and add some irregular wiggle. Spruce are very flexible.

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
Très créatif
Très dramatique
Très poétique

I'm sorry for frenching, it just came out that way.

Maybe you could develop that ramification that's growing up directly as a back branch and make it come back towards the trunk to fill that space. (That empty space makes me uncomfortable).

But hey, just my vision, follow your heart and do what you do best. (I know maybe it'll go against that extreme triangle concept of yours)

(Also, the apex coming from a back branch it would be some kind of joke)

Cheers

Attachments

• 20230204_220308.jpg
    20230204_220308.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 23

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks both of you for your comments.

@Cosmos , This branch is almost as thick as my index finger (2 cm, about 4/5th of an inch), so it would be very fdifficult to give it more movement.
The rest of the branch has some -- viewed from above, and I gave it a bit more vertical curves since I took the photo. But that's a very good observation, thanks.

@Juanmi ,
(I know maybe it'll go against that extreme triangle concept of yours)

(Also, the apex coming from a back branch it would be some kind of joke)

The "extreme triangle" is binned now, perhaps I will even shorten the dead wood later.
And the back branch is not a back branch any longer. ;) It was supple enough to bring the top 2/3rds above the main branch, vertically.

Top Bottom