Pick a front, any front

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Here's a piece of stock I picked up from one of the Facebook auctions recently. It's a hefty Ficus microcarpa with a few options for a front.

Option one:
20160616_171051.jpg

Option two:
20160616_171204.jpg

Option three, somewhere in the middle that would require the removal/splitting of that big root:
20160616_171131.jpg

Thoughts?

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Colin, I didn't even see that! Looks like that's the route I'll go!
Cool. I'll hasten to add that it's just design advice, not cultural advice. I'll leave it to you to figure out when and how the deed goes down :)

I also think I agree with @JudyB that side #1 is the most interesting. Perhaps that same branch will work as a leader from that side . . .

Milly

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with Judy. The base and trunk has so much more character in the first picture.

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Option 1 shows off the base and best trunk movement. Remove or wire and bend the long straight branches and style the thinner branches for future development. Very nice ficus.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#2 until you get that fat root sorted.....then #1 will look great.
You still chasing the "tropical dragon"? :D
I'm ready to throw in the towel! This one looks cool, though!:cool:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Very interesting. #1 definitely has the most character, but the new leader is a little different than the one in the second picture. There's two choices for a leader in the first option, one in red and one in blue.

Screenshot_2016-06-17-16-50-10-1.jpg

Decisions, decisions.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ah, it seems I've stumped you all! I'm personally leaning toward option two just because of leader placement. Option one is nice, but that wrinkled appearance doesn't do a whole lot for me, and the leader transition would be so abrupt.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The second photo appears to give you the widest possible base. As for the leader, the uppermost of those two right next to each other looks perfect.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The second photo appears to give you the widest possible base. As for the leader, the uppermost of those two right next to each other looks perfect.

I think that's mostly because of that big root, which will need attention. I'll either end up splitting it or removing it altogether.

Top Bottom