Pick a front exposed root contorted quince

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I keep getting blocked when I try to post. I have had several lengthy posts just evaporate. I'm getting frustrated @Bonsai Nut the site seems unstable today. Is there a character limit to the length of a post?

We were down for an upgrade earlier.

Not a good day for long posts I reckon.

Sorce

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I keep getting blocked when I try to post. I have had several lengthy posts just evaporate. I'm getting frustrated @Bonsai Nut the site seems unstable today. Is there a character limit to the length of a post?
Did you post not automatically save? I've had instances where I began writing, but never sent the post and when I went back to post everything that I wrote earlier saved.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

I'm sorry - entirely my fault. I was upgrading software. It only required a couple of minutes but I should have turned off the site first so you would not have had your posts erased.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Glad you didn’t take offense. I tried to write it as politely as I could and as many ways as possible. But it’s the internet and people will still make drama where it doesn’t need to be haha

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was thinking of this.View attachment 280993

But this is a closer example to yours...
View attachment 280992

Except yours IS the roots.

This type of "long accentish" spirit is what I'd aim for overall. IMnarrowO it's all they are good for. Or, what they're best used for, yours being something better than these already because it adds the roots. I wouldn't concern myself with the top much other than to keep the wide shape, and get flowers in a silhouette of your choice.

It's their roll IMO.

Sorce

That is the design I will eventually be going for. A multi trunk clump of sorts. I don’t think it will work as a accent though as it is a very large plant. There is a solid trunk in there that’s 6” across, hard to tell from pics. That’s a 11” by 4” deep Sam Miller. I looked quite a bit and could only find one Jonas has that’s close to as large.
I don’t really care to show it, just something fun and quirky to work on. Will be bringing it to a class with Jonas the end of February

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Norcalkbonsai
I'll try to keep this short.

I wasn't too worried about the horticulture, I had no doubt the contorted quince would survive. I have 'Contorted White' myself, I am very familiar with its growth habits.

The vast majority of exposed root bonsai I've seen exhibited in North America are painful, ugly eyesores, horticultural atrocities foisted upon an all too uncritical public. They look like crap. My comment was in an effort to help you avoid creating another atrocity.

I think your clump has great potential, or I would have simply said; "That's nice". and moved on to a different thread.

Although I do it myself, many get too hung up on which side of a bonsai is "front" way too early in the process of moving from nursery stock, to pre-bonsai, to show ready bonsai. It is typical for the "front" to change many times in the early history of a bonsai. But to work our trees we do tend to pick a front, as long as you know it will change in the future, it is a good exercise.

I think your best option is to treat this tree as a multiple trunk clump forest. The cultivar 'Contorted White' will constantly throw many new suckers from the roots, it is almost impossible to keep this one as a single trunk bonsai. Right now your clump is too congested to give you a forest feel. I would try to reduce the number of trunks to something less than 12 trunks. The exact number is not important, just get some of the visual clutter out of the photos. Each time you remove a trunk, the ideal "Front" will change.

First remove the trunks that are too straight. In the photos I marked a few I thought were too straight, but do a real life assessment, don't just follow my photo edit, see if removing the marked trunks will open up the view into the clump and get rid of boring straight trunks.

The strength of the 'Contorted White' is the contorted behavior, so keep no straight lines if possible.
I put a question mark on your largest trunk. A forest has good variation in trunk diameters to help with creating depth. The largest trunk though looks too straight. I would debate a while, but decide whether to keep it or get rid of it in favor of trunks with more movement. I would for the moment try to keep it.

you also have a couple trunks with very horizontal branches that cross over your view of the clump. This is not a problem in the uppermost third of the forest, but is is an issue when the branches cross in front of your view of the lower third of the trunks and the nebari. These crossing branches have to go.

The "forest" needs to be thinned before choosing a front.
Then after the front has been chosen, one needs to be deliberate with designing the roots. More on roots in next post.
Inked-A-norcalkbonsaiA_LI.jpg Inked-D-norcalkbonsai-D_LI.jpg Inked-C norcalkbonsai-C_LI.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The reason I feel most "exposed root" bonsai I see at shows are horticultural atrocities, is that very seldom do you see any design effort put into choosing which roots are kept and which get lost.

When you expose roots, the fine roots will dehydrate and die, and the few, thicker roots will bark up and become your main supports. When the "great fine root die off" is allowed to happen at random, you often end up with an unstable looking mess of crappy roots. When done well, the roots have a stable feel, and make a natural support for the tree, or in this case, a clump forest. Asymmetry is important. You do not want your roots to appear as regular as the column supporting a parking garage. On the other hand, you don't want an unstable looking or illogical looking arrangement of roots. For example, if the roots are only under the thinner trunks, with a gap under the largest diameter trunk.

A cantilever look is okay, if done so that it looks believable, like a cantilever deck on the Wingspread Frank Lloyd Wright house, the is no support under the deck, yet the visual weight of the rest of the house anchors the deck and makes it logical.

So after you arrange the trunks, pick your front and then do what most forget to do .
DESIGN the exposed roots. Select which thin roots to keep, which to remove, and then after removing the "visual clutter" of excess fine roots, repack the area with media to keep the fine roots needed alive long enough to thicken up and bark up.

Remember, eliminate straight roots, you need to repeat the contorted theme in the roots to a similar degree as in the trunks.

Fun project you have. It inspires me to think about something similar for my 'Contorted White' flowering quince.

Top Bottom