pick a front

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
hi all,
this juniperus i bought some years ago at a bonsai nursery that no longer exists.
it was not in great health when i bought it so i took about two or three years to get it back to health and more compact :)

today i slapped some thick wire on the center part of the trunk to get it moving into the right direction, for both the sides it had to move the same direction.
but now i stalled my work because i have to pick a front before i wire and style it further....
i lean towards the first pick ( informal with a cascading branch to the left )
voorkant 1.jpg

voortkant 2.jpg

also because the pics dont realy show depth or branch placement i made two short video's not sure if it will be of any help lol

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
First “front” (1) is more pleasing to me...

I feel it would be more fun to shape FROM that angle.

I “loike“ it!

🤓

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Front 1 gives you a back branch with a shoot relatively close to the trunk. That branch is also thin enough to bend and compact even more if necessary.
Front 2 has a thicker back branch that is straight and no taper of shoots so not as good for filling the back out. Front 2 has a more interesting first branch - jin the lower extension and grow from the small shoot close to the trunk and some smaller ones just above the lowest section.

Both are viable and either should be able to produce a good trunk. Choose either and get on with making something with no regrets and no looking back to what if?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Front 1 gives you a back branch with a shoot relatively close to the trunk. That branch is also thin enough to bend and compact even more if necessary.
Front 2 has a thicker back branch that is straight and no taper of shoots so not as good for filling the back out. Front 2 has a more interesting first branch - jin the lower extension and grow from the small shoot close to the trunk and some smaller ones just above the lowest section.

Both are viable and either should be able to produce a good trunk. Choose either and get on with making something with no regrets and no looking back to what if?
yeah both sides have enough well placed branches, im leaning towards front 1 because the trunk itself is allittle more interesting because of the hollow at the base and a small portion of deadwood.
then again front two is probably more suitable semi cascade then front 1...
if i continu i wont regret i tought about it as far as my artist sight goes..;..
my teacher told me his hands were itchy to style this one but im not sure if ill let him tough ive gotta learn to do it myself as well lol

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
yeah both sides have enough well placed branches, im leaning towards front 1 because the trunk itself is allittle more interesting because of the hollow at the base and a small portion of deadwood.
then again front two is probably more suitable semi cascade then front 1...
if i continu i wont regret i tought about it as far as my artist sight goes..;..
my teacher told me his hands were itchy to style this one but im not sure if ill let him tough ive gotta learn to do it myself as well lol
Great attitude!!! Get your hands dirty and DIY!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The reason a teacher can make snap decisions on what to do with a tree is that they understand that there are many possible outcomes but only one can be chosen. Once a course of action is taken it is always the correct one.
Plus its not their tree so the decision does not matter anywhere near as much.
You seem to have a good eye so it is time to start making those decisions. Just remember whatever you do is the right thing.

Top Bottom