Pick the front of this western juniper!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This Western juniper has been accepted to the National Show this September. I'm humbled and honored to show my tree there. This tree was collected in Southern Idaho in about 2010. I purchased it in 2013 and have been working on it with Boonyarat Manakitivipart and Daisaku Nomoto in the Bay Area ever since. I hope to see all of you nuts in Rochester!

IMG_1644.jpg IMG_0014.jpg IMG_0069.jpg IMG_5160.jpg IMG_0113.jpg
2013___________2014____________2015___________2016___________2017

IMG_7893.jpg

Scott

Last edited:

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is a western juniper yamadori of mine. It was collected about 4 years ago and showed very strong growth this spring. I started work on the tree early this summer by removing the old bark and deadwood cleanup. I think enough of the old bark has been removed so that the location of the live veins are apparent. I'll repot, removing more of the field soil in January. My teacher and I took these pictures during the work while we were deciding on the front. There were a number of possibilities that we discussed and we took pictures from some of the angles that we liked the best - the options are written on the box. I ask you - which front do you like and why?

View attachment 40221View attachment 40219View attachment 40218View attachment 40220

Scott
Hi Scott
I like picture one. Prefer the balance of deadwood and live vein movement in the base. Also prefer the flow in the upper portion and opportunity for bends and apex to compliment the slant. Difficult to judge the repotting angle but likely a bit more forward. Great material.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi Scott
I like picture one. Prefer the balance of deadwood and live vein movement in the base. Also prefer the flow in the upper portion and opportunity for bends and apex to compliment the slant. Difficult to judge the repotting angle but likely a bit more forward. Great material.

Thanks Frank - great to see you at the BIB show!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't wait to see it in September!

Wait...no, that means summer will be over and winter fast approaching. I can wait...but definitely looking forward to it. Beautiful tree.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I removed all the wire I January. The tree has grown a lot over the spring and early summer. Today I cleaned up the old foliage and cut back some of the leggy growth where there were young interior shoots to replace them. In doing so, I created some new jins. Then I rewired the plant. This is not wired for show.

B578F3DB-7CDF-42E8-9258-037547B9563F.jpeg

Top Bottom