Picked up a lovely shade quince today...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Does it get lots of sunlight? Shade could make flowers paler. I've had a white flower turn pinkish on a Toyo Nishiki after I uncovered it from a bunch of leaves and exposed it to sunlight.
Honestly...the ones at the nursery were outside. But how long in the sun I do not know. They all appeared this color. This one...was actually tucked into the greenhouse and not out with the rest of them. But is now in my own greenhouse. The wind seemed to effect the blooms since it had been prior protected I reckon. Tossed inside of greenhouse to not lose those blooms. It's a nippy chill in the air.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Does it get lots of sunlight? Shade could make flowers paler. I've had a white flower turn pinkish on a Toyo Nishiki after I uncovered it from a bunch of leaves and exposed it to sunlight.
You nailed it...this is sadly not tagged wrong. With our cold days they have stuck them in the main building you check out. Without lighting offering natural light they faded. We're red when recieved. (Per Sarah who checked them in.)

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like North Carolina to me.

The blooms are fantastic. The internodes are long, however.

Thank you, and of course if they have them I will be pretty selective and get a few. Anything from Lowes will require a lot of work but having lost all last Spring I would have plenty of time to play ;)

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You nailed it...this is sadly not tagged wrong.

On a bright note - You now know how to keep them Salmon colored. Serious we have discussed various Nursery methods to do certain things at certain times and this information falls into that category ;)

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ahhh Grimmy you sly dog you...you are correct! @GrimLore

Simply put it is knowledge acquired by observation. We learn our plants, grow our plants, and THEN we grow them in a way pleasing to ourselves. This time the Nursery did the work and you and I both learned something by observation!

Grimmy

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Fairly easy to take cuttings, air-layering very successful. Think of it when you prune it ;)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had a Toyo Nishiki I planted out in the garden as a landscape bush. In full sun. The blooms would open white. Then, as they aged, they'd change colors to pink, then red, then wither.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fairly easy to take cuttings, air-layering very successful. Think of it when you prune it ;)

Possibly...but only to pass on as gifts. I am trying to limit my headcount on my trees. But...why not share if I can...right?

Thanks for the suggestion. Would have just tossed them without a second thought...

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've kept some cuttings and root cuttings just for that purpose, but I've thought about keeping some for future mame and shohin. Perhaps get a bunch and make a companion plant.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Possibly...but only to pass on as gifts. I am trying to limit my headcount on my trees

I understand what you mean! :rolleyes:

I even have seedlings that have never flowered since I planted the seeds 3 years ago, hoping that they might have hybridized - I have four different cultivars. But it would be a pity to throw them away before being sure I won't have an exceptional, spectacular, unkown new cultivar o_O ;) :D

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just picked up my quince the other day at the nursery they had some very light pink ones too. I am not sure what I should do with it just yet. What are popular stylings options for the quinces?

image.jpeg

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What are popular stylings options for the quinces?

Smaller one's can be trained in a nice Cascade rather easily. Several can make a very nice clump... Fat and old can be developed into almost any style over time. I would concentrate on growing yours for a year as is and study its growth tendencies with light pruning. They are indeed nice to grow but train them in a fashion that they provide a pleasant show of flower. Is that one a Double Take Orange Storm?

Grimmy

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
. Is that one a Double Take Orange Storm?

Grimmy

It was labeled a Texas scarlet, the double take seem to have much denser flowers. I agree cascade would be beautiful, but I wonder if that's a little out of my league for now :)

To a new pot it goes! Once it's done flowering I should give it a light pruning?

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
To a new pot it goes!

Honest I would just trim that pot down to the soil level and grow it as is for a year. One fertilizer soon and just keep watered and happy. Think of it at first as a hedge, not a tree, not a Bonsai. Learn it and its growth. If you trim it just take off an inch or so of ALL branch tips and see what it does - they are quite interesting...

Grimmy

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Honest I would just trim that pot down to the soil level and grow it as is for a year. One fertilizer soon and just keep watered and happy. Think of it at first as a hedge, not a tree, not a Bonsai. Learn it and its growth. If you trim it just take off an inch or so of ALL branch tips and see what it does - they are quite interesting...

Grimmy

image.png
Line here at the blue line? I'm willing to do it, I'll commit and get a good pair of shears today.

So scary, but also thrilling!

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
View attachment 101475
Line here at the blue line? I'm willing to do it, I'll commit and get a good pair of shears today.

@GrimLore simply meant that you should cut the rim of the pot off, so that you can see the trunk and expose the soil surface. I don't believe anyone suggested a chop for this one yet.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@GrimLore simply meant that you should cut the rim of the pot off, so that you can see the trunk and expose the soil surface. I don't believe anyone suggested a chop for this one yet.

Thank you for clarifying that!

Yes that would be scary :p I meant what Collin said!

Grimmy

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you for clarifying that!

Yes that would be scary :p I meant what Collin said!

Grimmy

Oh my goodness, I completely read that wrong then. Thanks for clarifying.

I know these are neutral to acid loving plants, what kinds of mixes do you guys like using for your acid loving plants? I've been reading around on the site and many people seem to opt for akadama, lava rock and Kanuma or mixes of them.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
what kinds of mixes do you guys like using for your acid loving plants?

Honest I don't want to start a soil war here but I find Azalea as well as a lot of others like Quince do well in a far more simple and less expensive mixture. They also do good in it down the road when they go into training pots or even regular pots for bonsai.

I make a mix of Fafard Premium Topsoil rather then the crap I used to use. Coarse sand like Quikrete All purpose sand, and Any Horticultural Perlite. I mix equal amounts of each roughly using a scoop. No rocket science or theories - it drains very good and allows for good growth. I have tried a LOT of suggested mixes and find this simple stuff works in many cases better for me. For example Azalea like damp not wet and the mix allows me to keep that moisture without having to water 3 times a day. One bag each of those items does not break the bank either... If you feel you must have more acidic simply add some sifted peat moss but myself I have not found that to be needed. We probably don't live very far apart so I can only guess it will work good for you as well.

Grimmy

Top Bottom