Picked up a lovely shade quince today...

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I cut off the top 3 inches of the pot, and pushed some of the soil away to see what I was dealing with in terms of the rest of the roots.
It has a little bit of a flare, it may not be the prettiest, but it's a start!
image.jpeg

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lauren,
Undo that "volcano" around the smaller one as well. That can't be good for it. (unless I am mistaken, and it has been potted at its original soil height with the roots sloping down the hill)
CW

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lauren,
Undo that "volcano" around the smaller one as well. That can't be good for it. (unless I am mistaken, and it has been potted at its original soil height with the roots sloping down the hill)
CW
If you mean covering the roots back up, I did that. I didn't want to leave them exposed to the air.i just wanted to take a peek a what was under there. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Clipped most of the larger thorns tips off...minus glasses. So a few went unseen. This tree didn't play nicely. Drew some blood...but, Not overly bad. Not a "quality" tree by any means. But...fills this area nicely on the more decorative section of the bench. Time will tell if it remains a trained tree...or tossed in the ground.
Texas Scarlet Quince wired front view....jpg Texas Scarlet Quince from another angle...wired.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
All quince are confusing :confused: They often offer up a bloom or two at what seems to be an improper time - even planted in the ground. Nice plant though and it looks healthy;)

Grimmy
Thanks...yes, it offered up a random bloom or two all year long. Glad mine is chugging along as a norm for the cultivar.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
One of my Toyo Nishiki had a young branch that emerged in the summer with flower buds different from ones that appear on older wood in the late winter. I've been observing it to see how it behaves. The flowers on it have fallen off, but there are now a few small round green growths. More flower buds? I'll keep watching.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
One of my Toyo Nishiki had a young branch that emerged in the summer with flower buds different from ones that appear on older wood in the late winter. I've been observing it to see how it behaves. The flowers on it have fallen off, but there are now a few small round green growths. More flower buds? I'll keep watching.
Sounds like it! COOL!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

The Toyo I cut back at around the same time we discussed yours has had a variety of results and looks to be going dormant now. There were several in a 2 1/2 Gallon container. Three that I chopped severely down to 5 - 6 inches showed little or no growth. 2 of them I cut less and left a random young branch or two on and they reproduced foliage but almost all on the old wood. The last 2 I took all of the new growth reproduced foliage on the old wood and tossed a random bloom here and there until a couple of weeks ago. I was going to look up our conversation and tell you but I am pretty certain Darlene won't mind :oops:

Grimmy

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Updating the thread...

Nice! Mine still is sleeping, many tiny buds about an 1/8th of an inch. Next several days should be warmer so I watered heavily today. Outside unprotected all Winter most all push later.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice! Mine still is sleeping, many tiny buds about an 1/8th of an inch. Next several days should be warmer so I watered heavily today. Outside unprotected all Winter most all push later.

Grimmy
Things are waking in my landscape.
The Peony Tree
20170218_103657.jpg

False Spires
20170218_103616.jpg

Lenten Rose...
20170218_103459.jpg

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Things are waking in my landscape.

Yes indeed and landscape here is doing similar but smaller buds so far, even Roses. Also some bulbs are pushing.. I just watered the remainder of the potted and all Maples, Fruit trees, Cotoneaster, Yew, are showing fresh buds/growth starting. The Junipers all look to be changing color back to normal as well. Last weekend when I watered potted they were all dormant so it is nice to see the beginnings of another season :)

Grimmy

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom