Picking a tree for a Kathy Shaner critique

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In the near future I will be lucky enough to meet Kathy Shaner. I am going to have the opportunity to bring a tree for her to critique/advise etc. I don't have a tremendous collection of trees and I don't have a lot of trees that have my own work into it that I would be looking for her to critique. I do have some pre-stock trees that would be good to probably get an opinion on what direction to go with.

Some of the trees I have to choose from are:

Arakawa JWP, pre bonsai
JWP that is already designed and had work done, not by me.
A Crab apple that is pre bonsai
A small shohin JBP that is pre bonsai
Procumbens juni recently picked up, more than pre, but not finished by any means
prostrata Juni, ready for design.

What should I bring? I know there are many of you who have met and attended her demos that may have some inside information on what she likes most or least. I've never had a critique before so I wasn't sure of quite what to expect.

Thanks for any replies.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
. recently i took her the top of an airlayered japanese snow bell. northing earth shattering or special. It was fun to have her share what she saw into it. I also won the tree that she designed in the demo. In both cases she went over afterwards the care and even pot design and color to use with them. There are many "headliners" I have attended for personal Instruction. She's very easy going and puts you at ease. forget that you have to have a world class subject to have her work on. take something that appeals to you and appreciate her ability to help you get it started. neat lady

Attachments

• IMG_3055.JPG
    IMG_3055.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 54

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is this a workshop, or just a critique? If workshop, it helps to take stuff that are ready to work and timing wise things can be done to them (and they are healthy enough...). But take more than one. If it's just a critique, then I'd take things that I was most up in the air about how to progress with them. Again, take more than one. Keep in mind that I've only been to one workshop so far, so add grain of salt here.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Out of all the ones you listed, bring the one that has good potential but also might be difficult in seeing the bonsai within, or the one you're having trouble taking to the next level of refinement. She'll help you get there.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
She's an incredible bonsai person, and very gracious as well. I've seen her take as much time with a cutting as with a nearly-finished tree, so Dave's advice was good...bring something you're struggling to find the bonsai within and she can help. To that I'll add:

1. Working with Kathy is more like a TV show series than a movie. You aren't likely to get direction on how to finish a tough tree, but you will get advice on how to start a tough tree. You'll hear "let's see what it does with this, and we'll do xx next year". Big difference, and a big shift in mindset if you're used to working with someone who wants to help you finish a tree before 5:00 today.

2. Always bring more trees than you think you need.

3. Bring a camera, paper, and pen. Take photos and take notes.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the replies. As far as I know it's a critique so I don't believe there will be any working on the trees, just discussion.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
She's an incredible bonsai person, and very gracious as well...
I don't know what you should bring, but just wanted to say how much I agree with Brian's comments (and some of the ones posted earlier). I haven't actually worked one-on-one with Kathy, but have been fortunate to attend some of her demos and lectures at our local club meetings and other events...and was an observer at her Chinese quince workshop at Bill V's symposium this spring. She's a great teacher, patient, very knowledgeable, and funny/entertaining. I've learned a lot from her already and hope to work with her in the future.

Let us know how the critique goes!

Chris

johng

Omono
Reaction score
The advice you have gotten is very good...from a learning perspective I might offer something different to think about. You may choose to take a tree in which you have a pretty clear idea(and well reasoned notion of why you want to take it this way) of where you think the tree might go...Chances are high that she will offer you an alternative. This would allow you to compare your reasoning with hers and hopefully provide you an opportunity to deepen your understanding.

It is certainly more than ok to take something that has stumped you, but for me I always seem to learn more when I am able to contrast my thinking with that of a teachers.

I have had the opportunity to work with Kathy annually for several years now and Brian's observations of her style is right on the money.

Have fun, take notes!...and make sure you pay attention to all the critiques!

Be sure to ask her about using power tools:) Her response is a good one:)

John

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I recently took a very helpful and enjoyable workshop from her. I got the impression that she is more a broadleaf bonsai person than a needled bonsai person. If the crab apple is more than a stick in a pot, that might be a good choice.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please ask her about the "movement " in your tree. After she tells you what it is, tell her that "Jim Gremel said that it is opposite cause if there was a little man under there and cut the tree down it would fall HIS way!

Top Bottom