Pics of collected Cedar elms

Reaction score
This forum has been so helpful. I have been collecting some elms from some property that will be a shopping mall soon. Here are some pics of some of what I have. This is not the best stuff but I am being careful to get my learning curve in on the mediocre material. I pulled a couple dozen small ones for future forest plantings. They are in their own pots to train. I did go ahead and put 7 of them together in a pot to start a forest now.
I dug a few that are in the 1.5" to 3" range. I am trying to start small and learn the best ways to get the most fine roots. I am getting pretty good at it and the last 2 have a great amount of fine roots saved. Working my way up to some 4" to 5" trunks. I just want to make sure I have this down before digging out the best material.
I do have some questions about chopping these down. For some of the medium sized ones do I go ahead and just chop low now or wait until spring? They are still too tall for a 1/6 ratio.

My favorite out of them all has some crazy branching and some taper. It is 2.5" trunk and 22" tall right now. I need to figure out what to do with it now and then I will let it adjust for another year or whenever it seems healthy. It is the first one shown. I am going to make a post on the elm topic along with a photoshop diagram.

I am especially interested in what rockm has to say since he is very familiar and experienced with the Cedar Elm. Thanks rockm for all the great words.

Thanks to you allIMG121.jpgIMG120.jpgIMG122.jpgIMG124.jpgIMG125.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That first one is very nice. Where in the country are you? I like cedar elms, but never see them in the wild here in Ohio.

Top Bottom