Pictures from the National Arboretum

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Please enjoy a few pictures of some of the trees at the National Arboretum. I think I have some pictures of some of these trees from 20 years ago or so when I last visited, but I’ll have to dig them up and scan them. If I find them I’ll post them.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
4717C159-80C3-44A6-B1E6-D6256EE953EA.jpeg

Chinese quince grove. Trunks are nicely placed and the bark is beautiful, but the branches could use some maturing and development, in my opinion. Some differences in branch scale and leaf size between the trunks as well. Very nice grove with great potential though.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
8BDB2B64-ECA7-4C89-8766-DFC30C1DF2ED.jpeg

Old Trident maple in training since 1895. A gift from the royal household of Takamatsu. A very large, elegant tree with great movement, taper and a strong nebari. Branches have good movement and taper and the leaf size is in great scale to the size of the tree. Very nicely done.

- S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
6D223F3B-F0CD-45A8-9F13-3CDFF0250B51.jpeg

Black Hills Spruce from Andrew Smith. I kind of like the twin trunk bunjin. Interesting composition and an unusual species for bonsai. Glad to see they grow in the DC area - I might have to have one for the collection!

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@markyscott you're here in DC now? If I would have known I would have stopped by the Arboretum to link up.
That would have been nice. Flying back to Houston now, but we’ll have some more chances as it looks like I’m moving to the DC area.

- S

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That would have been nice. Flying back to Houston now, but we’ll have some more chances as it looks like I’m moving to the DC area.

- S
Cool! You plan to move to Virginia or Maryland? DC is just too expensive and no land without having to spend a fortune.

I'm about a 50min drive to the Arboretum. We definitely will have to link up now that you're moving out this way.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Cool! You plan to move to Virginia or Maryland? DC is just too expensive and no land without having to spend a fortune.

I'm about a 50min drive to the Arboretum. We definitely will have to link up now that you're moving out this way.
I’m moving about an hour or so west of DC in Fauquier county. I have a contract on some rural propery near Upperville. Beautiful area. I’d love to make contact with some other bonsai folks in the area.

- S

Top Bottom