Pictures from the National Arboretum

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting! I wonder why they didn’t decandling this year.

- S
First off, an early welcome to Va.! I'm something of an East Texas expat myself.

As such,, I'd advise not getting rid of all your Texas natives. I've been growing cedar elm, bald cypress and live oak up here for the last 25 years. CEs are hardy if you set up winter quarters. Bald cypress is mostly the same (although its become a bit more challenging climate wise in the last few years). Live oak can thrive if given some shelter from the worst of the winter.

When you get up here, give me a shout. There are many great bonsai folks in the area. Some not necessarily connected to all the clubs--although the No. Va. Bonsai Society is a great organization.

As for the trees at the museum--the place was closed for almost a year because of the pandemic. The full-time staff, which couldn't rely on the volunteers which are an integral part of tree care and maintenance there, allowed many of the trees to extend and grow to gain some strength. That's is probably why the pine has not been decandled.

BTW, I'm positive if you want to volunteer to work there, they'd welcome your expertise.

Back to bald cypress--I don't know why the Vaughn Banting BC is off exhibit, but it might be to allow it to grow out. The last couple of years has brought many late, deep freezes. I lost one excellent BC to a late freeze two years ago and the big remaining one I have has been significantly weakened this year from this weather pattern. The pattern has been that we've had warm early Feb.--like into the 70's, then a deep plunge into the mid-teens and even lower come late Feb./early March. That pattern hit my BCs at exactly the wrong time, just as the trees began moving their buds. In the previous couple of decades, its stayed reliable cold into March, at least enough to prevent that early movement. In the past, my La.-collected BC has seen sub-zero temps in Jan. and Feb. when it was dormant, Didn't have a problem for years. Things have changed and its a bit more unpredictable and I have to watch Feb./March forecasts very closely.

Anyway, Faquier county (BTW the county slogan is "eat here, drink here, Faquier" because of the breweries and wineries out that way) is a bit colder than the main DMV (District, Maryland and Va. metro area). Cedar Elms and BC and some other Texas natives will probably do well there with some deep mulch and a cold frame.

As for Ezo Spruce, there are a few EXCELLENT ezo spruce kicking around in this area's private collections. I've seen one that lives in the DMV that likely originated in The Kennett Collection https://www.thekennettcollection.com/bonsai out of Pa. The owner of that collection imports a lot of excellent Japanese trees. They have surplus sales for excess stock that generates fist fights ;-).

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m moving about an hour or so west of DC in Fauquier county. I have a contract on some rural propery near Upperville. Beautiful area. I’d love to make contact with some other bonsai folks in the area.

- S
Upperville and the Va. "horse country" are beautiful areas. Middleburg, and the "monts"--Philomont, Bluemont, and Airmont are spectacular as well. And SKymeadows State Park is prime "dark sky" star gazing territory.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 391718

A dramatic JBP with strong movement to the right. Wrong time of year to show JBP really, but this one looks pretty nice despite the fact that the summer candles haven’t yet extended.

- S
This is one of the initial 53 bonsai given to the U.S. back in 1976. I think it is also the tree profiled here:

Can't tell for sure,, but the planting angle and pot look about right

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is one of the initial 53 bonsai given to the U.S. back in 1976. I think it is also the tree profiled here:

Can't tell for sure,, but the planting angle and pot look about right
I believe the sign might have mentioned that the tree had been in training since 1895, but it didn’t state that this was part of the original collection. That part of the story is pretty cool - thanks for sharing the link to the article!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice photos and thanks for taking the time to share them in a post.

Moving? You'll have to drink yankee Shiner's! ;)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe the sign might have mentioned that the tree had been in training since 1895, but it didn’t state that this was part of the original collection. That part of the story is pretty cool - thanks for sharing the link to the article!
Sure. Next time you're there, pay close attention to the containers underneath some of the trees. Some of the pots are just as valuable than the trees in them. The pot under the Imperial Household Red pine is one of those.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice photos Scott! Thanks for posting. And congrats on the upcoming move. Out of the places we've lived, I liked Virginia the best. Good climate (just enough winter, long summers), easy access to ocean and mountains, DC not too far. Might wind up back down there at some point.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’m moving about an hour or so west of DC in Fauquier county. I have a contract on some rural propery near Upperville. Beautiful area. I’d love to make contact with some other bonsai folks in the area.

- S
That's a nice scenic area, I lived in Frederick, MD and used to ride my bike with co-workers. They were from Hagerstown and we used to go to Fredericksburg down 17 straight through that area.

One more positive is that your maples will finally have great fall colors!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Upperville and the Va. "horse country" are beautiful areas. Middleburg, and the "monts"--Philomont, Bluemont, and Airmont are spectacular as well. And SKymeadows State Park is prime "dark sky" star gazing territory.
It is very beautiful there - we really liked it. Skymeadows State Park is very close to the homesite. I’m excited about that because one of my other pastimes is astrophotography and getting out from under the daylight bright night sky of downtown Houston has been a long term goal. I usually have to drive quite a way west for that activity. The other thing I really enjoy is hiking and I can pick up the AT less than five miles from the house or be in the Shenandoah NP in less than 30 mins.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
When you get up here, give me a shout.
Thanks and I will! Looking forward to meeting and getting to know some of the bonsai folks in the area. We‘ve rented a house between Winchester and Front Royal and are planning on staying there while we build. We’ll be in and out for the next few months and up there permanently next May or June.

S

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
View attachment 391716

Vaughn Banting’s lovely Acer rubrum grove. Not many good Red maples around, but this one is pretty nice. I was looking for his penjing bald cypress, but it didn’t appear to be on display.

S
Oh hell yes.. I wonder how long it took to reduce foliage

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
And how beautiful is that composition? I keep coming back to that one --
As Guy Guidry related the story of me, Vaughn Banting often stopped and dug up red maple seedlings along the roadside. This composition was built from a selection of those. I like that a tree with such humble beginnings could end up as the entrance display to the national exhibit. A good reminder that with skill and an artistic eye, great trees can be built with simple material.

S

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As Guy Guidry related the story of me, Vaughn Banting often stopped and dug up red maple seedlings along the roadside. This composition was built from a selection of those. I like that a tree with such humble beginnings could end up as the entrance display to the national exhibit. A good reminder that with skill and an artistic eye, great trees can be built with simple material.

S
Amen to that , resourcefulness too

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Pretty amazing. I played around with a small one a while back. I could get the foliage to reduce but they still had these awkwardly long petioles that made it look even worse. I am guessing there is some fortunate genetics at play on this one. I have heard that Florida has a red maple that has much smaller and tighter foliage than the typical Acer rubrum.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Pretty amazing. I played around with a small one a while back. I could get the foliage to reduce but they still had these awkwardly long petioles that made it look even worse. I am guessing there is some fortunate genetics at play on this one. I have heard that Florida has a red maple that has much smaller and tighter foliage than the typical Acer rubrum.
Any Florida bros wanna send me a bundle of ace rubrum this spring? Lmk

Top Bottom