pictures of big trees for my tree freak friends

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here are some pictures of some of the giants of the Oregon/Northern California Coast Redwoods and some huge old growth Sikta spruce, and cypress, and hemlocks in that area. It's impossible to tell scale, but I can assure you that they are among the biggest trees in the world. We went to several places, it was quite an experience to stand in the presence of so much age and beauty. I'm posting these in General discussion as there are some takeaways from these crazy branching and root structures. These trees grow so old that when they loose their tops, they'll put up multiple new apexes from branching lower, or the seedlings that grow on the upper trunks will root on the detritus that occurs up in the canopy and help to nourish the trees with their root structure imbedded into the older tree. I'll post coast pics on the tea house side...
IMG_1023.jpgIMG_1026.jpgIMG_1033.jpgIMG_1039.jpgIMG_1040.jpgIMG_1041.jpgIMG_1042.jpgIMG_1043.jpgIMG_1044.jpgIMG_1046.jpgIMG_1023.jpgIMG_1026.jpgIMG_1033.jpgIMG_1039.jpgIMG_1040.jpgIMG_1041.jpgIMG_1042.jpgIMG_1043.jpgIMG_1044.jpgIMG_1046.jpg

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Must be nice to be somewhere where the local idiots haven’t carved their initials into every tree. It’s a problem here in Georgia.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Must be nice to be somewhere where the local idiots haven’t carved their initials into every tree. It’s a problem here in Georgia.
Sadly there were a couple areas near a beach where lots of surfers hang out that had some of that going on. But in the redwood forests, it was pretty pristine. The sad part of visiting groves of these giant redwoods is the impact to the trees that visitation can cause. But the Stout grove that we went to in Jed. Smith park seems to be doing well despite the compaction. Perhaps because the river floods the ground there often enough to loosen up some of the impacted areas. I have heard of other areas that have dieback issues from the impaction problems. We did a lot of train hiking up in some of the lessor used areas, the trees there are just as huge and astonishing, but no crowds, and maybe they're a few feet shorter of the records, but LOL how can you tell?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for posting!

I remember my first trip to California about 35 years ago, we went to see the giant sequoias in Yosemite. Was simply amazed by the massiveness
of those trees. Took many photos but none of them conveyed the feeling you can only get by standing among them.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lovely pics - each year I go for a walking holiday in the biggest man made forest in Europe called Kielder so I can relate to the wonder - trees in all shapes and sizes for as far as the eye can see.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for posting!

I remember my first trip to California about 35 years ago, we went to see the giant sequoias in Yosemite. Was simply amazed by the massiveness
of those trees. Took many photos but none of them conveyed the feeling you can only get by standing among them.
Indeed. It just doesn't translate. That's why I took more photos of the hemlock and cypress crazy rooting.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Good stuff. Brings back (great) memories. Thanks for the share.

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I can already hear the grumblings of those wooden flip flop shuffling, kimono wearing weenies talking about how those trees are not great due to inverse taper, lack of movement, long straight sections, unrealistic bends, and many other pedestrian complaints

Top Bottom