Pictures of pinyon

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
The first several photos are trees in my collection. Pinus johannis, and some seedlings of edulis and maximartinezii. The last several are a Texas native Pinus remota that I took in habitat several years ago. I do intend to collect it.

Attachments

• 2015-09-25 10.08.49.jpg
    2015-09-25 10.08.49.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 2015-09-25 10.09.29.jpg
    2015-09-25 10.09.29.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 2015-09-25 10.07.50.jpg
    2015-09-25 10.07.50.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 92
  • 2015-09-25 10.07.01.jpg
    2015-09-25 10.07.01.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 91
  • PNremota11.jpg
    PNremota11.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 92
  • PNremota05.jpg
    PNremota05.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 98

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
What are your plans for each of them in the future? My favorite is the P. johannis i think.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
What are your plans for each of them in the future? My favorite is the P. johannis i think.

Well the johannis is kinda rare and difficult to find, I don't know that I'd ever make it a bonsai, but maybe. The fluffy blue guys are maximartinezii, considered endangered by mexican govt. So I'd hate to kill one. The edulis I got for grafting understock for the others and for the native pinyon. Pinus remota only makes a good seed crop every several years, and I've never beending able to get viable seed. But I can always drive out there and get some scions to graft. So if theRe are no cones this year that's plan b. I'd love to collect a pinus remota but I don't have a place out there. There is a big state park but those are off limits.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
I bought it about ten years the guy I bought it from said it was seven years old at the time. So 17 years or so. It started making cones last year. There is nothing around to pollinate them so if it does make viable seed they are self pollinated. It may just abort the cones.

If I graft some mature remota scions they should cone soon and have compatible pollen, and I may introduce "Todds hybrid pinyon" to cultivation in a few decades. :)

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I love pinions they are everywhere here, last fall I collected this pinus monophylla the single needle pinion and though it's young it's one of my favorite trees.

Attachments

• 20150918_142031.jpg
    20150918_142031.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 80

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Cool. Monophylla is one of the slower ones. Maybe the slowest. Collect one for me and maybe we can work out a trade or something. I've gotten back into propagating stuff, and am going to collect a lot of stuff this winter / spring. Winter isn't very wintery here.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Cool. Monophylla is one of the slower ones. Maybe the slowest. Collect one for me and maybe we can work out a trade or something. I've gotten back into propagating stuff, and am going to collect a lot of stuff this winter / spring. Winter isn't very wintery here.
Sounds like a deal to me, I'm planning on collecting a couple oneseed junipers, pinion edulis, pinion monophylla, and I'm hoping to go dig some southwestern white pines this next spring. My monophylla literally grew about an inch and a half average this year so I agree super duper slow grower, one reason I love this tree so much is, it was my very first collected tree (to be honest it was illegally done and at the wrong time of year, but at this time I never thought to look up regulations) and it's the only single needle pine in the world so that's cool.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Txhorticulture - your list of species sent me to wikipedia, as I was only familiar with a couple. So P. remota is the "Texas pinyon, or papershell pinyon" Seems to have shorter needles than P. edulis. Is that true? Might be a good one for bonsai depending on how short the needles get. 2 to 3 needles in a bundle according to wikipedia.

P. johannis - from your pictures this is an attractive color needle, and nice and short too. It should make a decent bonsai. An Arizona, NM, and Sierra Madre Mexico pinyon, distinct from P. edulis. 3-4 needles per bundle.

P. monophylla - single needle pinyon - that's a nice one. Its native range extends into southern Idaho, further north than any other pinyon, might be hardy into the warmer parts of zone 5. I might be able to winter it outdoors. Has me thinking.

P. edulis - this is the 'Colorado' pinyon - its range covers a pretty wide area, well into Colorado. I started seedlings of this summer of 2014. I wintered them in the well house, so I did not test their hardiness. Only had 6 or so out of 24 seeds survive into this summer, I like the bright blue of the seedlings. Hope they keep some of that color as they mature.

P. maximartinezii - I knew about this one - Big Cone Pinyon, a single pine cone can weigh up to 2 kg, a little over 4 pounds each. The pine nuts are larger than other pinyons also. Unfortunately it looks like it would not be very winter hardy, at least from its habit and range description. Probably okay with dry and cool, not likely to survive our wet and bitter cold. Pretty needles. And a pretty rare pine. Totally cool.

Those short needle versions of pinion, P. johannis and P. remota do look like they have definite bonsai potential. Edulis & monophylla too, though its needles are longer, they might survive my zone 5b winters.

Thanks for sharing. I learned something. Now I have another couple pines I will be keeping my eye out for.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
ur list of species sent me to wikipedia, as I was only familiar with a couple. So P. remota is the "Texas pinyon, or papershell pinyon" Seems to have shorter needles than P. edulis. Is that true? Might be a good one for bonsai depending on how short the needles get. 2 to 3 needles in a bundle according to wikipedia.

Glad you like it. Remota is my favorite little tree. I'd say needle length is comparable they are both in texas but they don't overlap in range. I've only seen edulis in extreme west texas in the guadalupes. Remota is in the glass mountains and south western edge of the Edwards plateau. (Those are where my pics are from) it's a beautiful little tree but not really known in cultivation. Which is a shame. It develops pretty bark with age here are some more pics. PNremota01.gif PNremota08.gif

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
ig Cone Pinyon, a single pine cone can weigh up to 2 kg, a little over 4 pounds each. The pine nuts are larger than other pinyons also. Unfortunately it looks like it would not be very winter hardy, at least from its habit and range description. Probably okay with dry and cool, not likely to survive our wet and bitter cold. Pretty needles. And a pretty rare pine. Totally cool.

Oh they might not even survive san antonio's version of bitter cold and I'm 8b 9a territory. Even though it's of high altitude origin it's low latitude means frost is uncommon. It's might be a zone 10 plant. Someone in another forum had one in the ground in North Carolina I think and it survived temps of 0 Fahrenheit without any damage If that's typical then it is zone 8b. Those little seedlings I have are 2 years old and will keep juVenille foliage for several more years. I'll protect them from any freeze this year. If I keep them long enough to get big then I'll probably just give them to our botanical garden and they can keep them in their conservatory. I'm sure they'd be happy to have them

Top Bottom