Pieris, worth a try!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I stumbled across a pieris this summer at my local garden centre, and immediately fell in love with this little shrub. I picked it up and carried it along with me, well I shopped for trees. I saw the english lady I have come to know who works there, and she noticed what I had in my hands. She was super happy I found it, as it turns out she was trying to hide it from sight, until she saw me come through again. Since it was late season the manager had made them pull all the plants out for "sale" season, but luck was with us, and I found the tree! I brought it home, and enjoyed the blooms, and love the bark. Then when I was at another garden centre close to my office, I found a different type of pieris with smaller variegated leaves. It is a clump with 4 trunks, maybe japanese design doesn't like even numbers, but I am fine with it! I know some Bnut folks have messed around with these, so hopefully you will enjoy these 2 trees.20161119_124944.jpg 20161119_124958.jpg 20161119_125024.jpg 20161119_125421.jpg 20161119_125431.jpg 20161119_125459.jpg 20161119_125523.jpg

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce I think this update is just for you, LOL! Repot/reduction done on both. The clump actually has a nice nebaris starting under the soil. The other has a great trunk, but weaker roots. Before you ask, yes the clump is planted in a repurchased clay baker lid... we make do with what we can,20170402_085604.jpg 20170402_085406.jpg eh!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce I think this update is just for you, LOL! Repot/reduction done on both. The clump actually has a nice nebaris starting under the soil. The other has a great trunk, but weaker roots. Before you ask, yes the clump is planted in a repurchased clay baker lid... we make do with what we can,View attachment 139341 View attachment 139342 eh!
Very nice Wilson. I actually like the pot of the clump!
One question: why do you use the net? Thank you.
Bonhe

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@bonhe the only reason for the netting, is this was the first root reduction, and I didn't have proper sized pots. A season or two should see them stronger, and ready to reduce again. Then I won't have the weird netting looking like a crappie fence around a yard! :D thanks for taking the time to check these out, any words from the more expert growers are greatly appreciated!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah, the principle seems alike colander training. :)
Bonhe

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They, pieris, seemingly do not need any winter dormancy, and are quite shade tolerant. There is a little mame pieris that has been thriving in my kitchen window for 6 years now. It has only been outside twice and then only long enough to be repotted. Maybe the ideal in-house bonsai!!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
They, pieris, seemingly do not need any winter dormancy, and are quite shade tolerant. There is a little mame pieris that has been thriving in my kitchen window for 6 years now. It has only been outside twice and then only long enough to be repotted. Maybe the ideal in-house bonsai!!
Could we see a picture please?

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice to see someone working with Pieris, I have a little one I'm waiting for it to trunk up. It is great to see such abundant flowering, after the serious pruning done a year or so ago.

I am really enjoying this one. Often in garden centres up here you can get a fairly nice starter plant. This one was a reject that a friend of mine put aside at a garden centre. They were ready to throw it in the compost heap, and as per usual that made it great for me! I treat this one similar to John G's azaleas, simple peat and perlite for now.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They, pieris, seemingly do not need any winter dormancy, and are quite shade tolerant. There is a little mame pieris that has been thriving in my kitchen window for 6 years now. It has only been outside twice and then only long enough to be repotted. Maybe the ideal in-house bonsai!![/oQUOTE]

I second @Carol 83 I would love to see the little guy.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@Wilson make sure and post it in full bloom, I am a sucker for anything that flowers. It is really something special. I'm not sure if they sell them around here, but I will be checking the garden centers, if we ever have spring.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Wilson make sure and post it in full bloom, I am a sucker for anything that flowers. It is really something special. I'm not sure if they sell them around here, but I will be checking the garden centers, if we ever have spring.

They’re a pretty common landscape shrub, I think you should have no problem finding one in Illinois I planted two in my front landscape this past fall, really gorgeous. And they hold most their leaves for the winter so they keep the garden pretty all year. Haven’t tried to bonsai one yet though.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They’re a pretty common landscape shrub, I think you should have no problem finding one in Illinois I planted two in my front landscape this past fall, really gorgeous. And they hold most their leaves for the winter so they keep the garden pretty all year. Haven’t tried to bonsai one yet though.

They always seem pretty beat up after our harsh winters here. They are fun like you said for being evergreen, but spring they look rough around here. I have since started keeping this one in the greenhouse for winter. The clump I had got thrown in the compost heap after a tough winter.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Could we see a picture please?
It tends to get a bit rangy since moving it up to this teacup this last summer. Originally it was in a pot about half this size and was a bit better behaved.
IMG_20190306_124943778.jpg

Given my wife's success, last summer I dug up another another volunteer seedling from under one of our landscape plants and put it in a small, original issue @sorce pot that I am keeping outside.
IMG_20190306_125112408.jpg

Top Bottom