Pieris Worth Buying?

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was looking at these two Pieris Japonica's and was thinking of picking one to buy. Is either one worth $10 to start a Shohin?

Attachments

• IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 95

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love the first one because it has that classic backwards S bend with an interesting base.

The second one has a more interesting and thick base, but then goes straight up.

I am going to cut both just above the first thick/established side branches.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Second one looks like it has a fungus among us...straight trunk is all anyone will notice on it. As for the classic S...most see those as mass produced bonsai.

That said...if you had to buy either get the one with movement...their leaves are rather large...keep that in mind. But their blooms are lovely. I have seen them before...I bought one day of open house at a nursery...but didn't inspect all to closely. They had a hard frost the night before and the bark was damaged and...I lost it from said damage.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I had two that I really liked but they're susceptible to disease, at least here in fungus alley and the they both bit the dust from the dread black death. Nice flowers too. Reminds me of manzanita.Pieres.3.5.07.1.jpg Pieres.23.6.07.jpg pieres flower.jpg

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When would you say is a good season to make a trunk chop?

This is my tentative chopping plan.

Attachments

• IMG_0815.JPG
    IMG_0815.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 64

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Since I think it is too late for a second flush of flowers, I will have to wait for spring buds.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Cool! I like these, nice bark too ....got one in the back yard, tried to air layer a branch last year.....lost whole the branch.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does it look like the thick side branches are creating a reverse taper? I removed the one on the top right since it was dead. When I trunk chop, should I cut below these thick branches, or just cut the thick side branches a little deeper with the concave cutter?

Attachments

• IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 50

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I didn't do a complete trunk chop, since I wanted to use the branching that was already there to continue to fuel the tree. I have cut on an angle and made the branches on the top right the new apex. I left the remaining branches on the left to feed the tree and I will make a decision to take or leave once it recovers. I think this has a lot of potential for a good Shohin at only $8.

Attachments

• IMG_0841.JPG
    IMG_0841.JPG
    301.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0842.JPG
    IMG_0842.JPG
    296.9 KB · Views: 46

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So far, this pieris is shaping up nicely! There is way more foliage left on it than I will need (so it has enough energy going into winter). There is some new branches/buds emerging and it seems to be in good shape! This one has some great movement, can't wait to see it with some tight branching and flowers!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1013.JPG
    IMG_1013.JPG
    308.3 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom