Pigletts Progress

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the fact that you started with it tight. It will take longer but be so much better in the long run.

I only have one problem...

Piglett seems so cutesy for this thing...it needs a name that commands more respect like Boss Hawg or something like that. My little trees are pigletts, this thing is the whole sow!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This tree will wind up as you suggest with a big broad canopy. I want to be able to open up more of the upper trunks, so will wind up lifting the foliage to do that as I go on. I do think it'll take longer going the route I went, but I want to get this one right.

As far as the name, since ironic is where I was aiming, I think I achieved it. ;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Had some time to work this tree again, it's been growing strongly, so I decided to wire and do the final cutbacks of unnecessary branches. The framework that is left is what I'll build upon, and I'm planning on keeping the view to the interior of the trunks open as the photos of today show. This way the tree will have more interest when in leaf, and it will not impact the winter silhouette. So glad I took my time with this tree, I'm pretty happy with the overall shape that I've been able to achieve with this in a short time. It certainly has all the right components to make something wonderful.
haP1000659.jpgP1000660.jpgP1000661.jpgP1000662.jpg

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Love the progress Judy! Looking good and is a very inspiring tree.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Judy,

Just curious, what are the dimensions on this tree?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The trunk is about 8-9" an inch above the soil, with the root spread of about 16". The height of the trunk to where the subtrunks split off, is 8" from the soil. Currently the tree is 27"x34 wide.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Enjoying the progress on this tree .

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Had some time to work this tree again, it's been growing strongly, so I decided to wire and do the final cutbacks of unnecessary branches. The framework that is left is what I'll build upon, and I'm planning on keeping the view to the interior of the trunks open as the photos of today show. This way the tree will have more interest when in leaf, and it will not impact the winter silhouette. So glad I took my time with this tree, I'm pretty happy with the overall shape that I've been able to achieve with this in a short time. It certainly has all the right components to make something wonderful.
haView attachment 74433View attachment 74434View attachment 74435View attachment 74436
Looking awesome Judy

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This tree is one of those that makes me excited about bonsai! Cookie cutter, Japanese style trees don't speak to me like this. Early on in this hobby I was easy to impress with any tree with a decent trunk and reasonable branch structure/ramification. I now need something special for me to appreciate the tree. This Trident definitely has that potential! Keep us updated on this one, Judy!

Cory

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Reminds me of this Walter Pall Trident!

QDSC_8478DNGofw.jpg

Cory

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Funny, I'm sure Don and I have looked at that same photo in regards to this very tree. I also have this in my head too...
020_2.jpg

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If I were naming this one, I'd go with Beefcake the Mighty. :p

Looks great, Judy! And it's only going to get better and better.

Top Bottom