Pilea peperomioides, Chinese money plant

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Ey, I got a small cutting of Pilea peperomioides, any of you guys have this cool plant? anyone try it as bonsai or kusamono? I know it never could be a regular bonsai by any means but they make woody trunks with time and have a interesting grow habit.
The plant itself have a really interesting history. It was first collected in 1906 and again in 1910, in Yunnan China. In 1945, the species was found again by Norwegian missionary Agnar Espegren, he took cuttings of it back to Norway and from there it was spread throughout Scandinavia, Missionary plant or Swedish ivy are common names thanks to that. It spread among amateur gardeners through cuttings, without being known to Western botanists and it was classified in the 1980s.
Although the plant is in danger of extinction in its native habitat, it is among the most popular indoor plants today, surely you have seen in recent years posts on social media with this plant, it has become very fashionable and trendy as indoor plant, a lot of people have gone crazy for it!

0_VVD42MquNVb4adiQ.jpg

image-asset.jpeg

1360173.jpg

koiman

Seed
Reaction score
I'm also trying to bonsai my plant. It was gifted as a cutting and withing a year I have several offspring from the mother. Some set away in bonsai potting mix and others in water. All seem to be taking off very well with little maintenance. My mother plant has just started shedding its larger heavy leaves which I have clipped to expose its main stem and hoping for more top growth. The main stem seem quite playable so I'm hoping to try and wire it into a good position over time

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ey, I got a small cutting of Pilea peperomioides, any of you guys have this cool plant? anyone try it as bonsai or kusamono? I know it never could be a regular bonsai by any means but they make woody trunks with time and have a interesting grow habit.
The plant itself have a really interesting history. It was first collected in 1906 and again in 1910, in Yunnan China. In 1945, the species was found again by Norwegian missionary Agnar Espegren, he took cuttings of it back to Norway and from there it was spread throughout Scandinavia, Missionary plant or Swedish ivy are common names thanks to that. It spread among amateur gardeners through cuttings, without being known to Western botanists and it was classified in the 1980s.
Although the plant is in danger of extinction in its native habitat, it is among the most popular indoor plants today, surely you have seen in recent years posts on social media with this plant, it has become very fashionable and trendy as indoor plant, a lot of people have gone crazy for it!

View attachment 425235

View attachment 425234

View attachment 425238
We have one as a houseplant but it hasn't been doing well. Any tips you have for care?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
We have one as a houseplant but it hasn't been doing well. Any tips you have for care?
Water it less and raise the pot so that it doesn't stand in water. In full sun they need time to adjust, but a bright-ish place in the house will work just fine.
It's one of the easiest houseplants I've come across, but it's very easy to give it too much TLC. A wooden skewer can be pretty handy to gauge for watering needs.
Regular potting soil works best, add some perlite to about 10-20% of the soil volume.

Over here they are called pancake plants. My sister, a notorious plant killer, has one that's as tall as she is; they search for light if there isn't enough and as long as you support them, they keep extending.

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one from a cutting for a couple years now. Leaves remind me of water lily pads.
20231209_152120.jpg

Top Bottom