Pimpin' and Shimpin'

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lookin good brother! So what is the plan from this point? Have you thought of how you want to wire and prune, to get the image you're after? Or are you still undecided?

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did this Yesterday.

View attachment 151652

View attachment 151653

It's a bit mounded.View attachment 151654

Moss came off a brick and concrete wall by a gutter. It's right thin...and holds almost too much water.

I was able to uncross that root.View attachment 151655

So it looks a bit better.
View attachment 151656

She's gonna be a she.View attachment 151657

I love her!

Sorce
The mounding is ok this time since you had to reduce the root ball so much.

Watch that moss. It will want to climb up the trunk of the tree.

You should clean out the dead and weak interior growth. I know, I'm always saying to keep the interior growth! But, the thing is, we want healthy interior growth. If it's weak, it won't grow.

So, start by removing growth that's growing down on the undersides of branches. It's going to be shaded out eventually, so get rid of it now.

Here's one of your pictures. I've circled some weak stuff, I'm sure there's more all thru the tree.

IMG_0587.JPG

Look for the foliage that's turning yellow. Foliage that has white tips rather than bright green. All that can be safely removed.

Removing that will open up the foliage so that sunlight can get in.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like it @sorce

Looking forward to u putting a little more work in and one upping yourself!!!!

Good tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lookin good brother! So what is the plan from this point? Have you thought of how you want to wire and prune, to get the image you're after? Or are you still undecided?

I'm always decided before I buy something.
Isn't everyone?;)

This one had pretty decent branching on up, except for a split at the apex leaving a couple choices and some odd branch placements to figure.

It's kinda standard. Naka textbook. 20170702_205527.jpg

It would have been nice if I didn't lose ALL my close branches....but that does seem the way of it.

@Adair M thank you. I understand what you mean about the foliage.

Here's my conundrum.

When it started to yellow...I read BVF type that's normal for the time of year....so I ignored it, as nothing is really shaded, I figured I couldn't save it.

Then, I pulled the tree up out of the pot, and it was quite soggy, heavy, and staying like that for a while.
So I thought over watered.

Then....when repotting this...out of a shale like rock and dirt, I found some spots that looked dry...and not as healthy a root system as I would have expected.

So....I done confused myself!

Also...
I never even intended to go so hard or into this pot....

It just kinda happened.

Um....
Blahbalahblah blah:eek:!

Sorce

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ya'll wanna' set some drawers alight, I'll help you young bucks start a fire...

What the fuck, this thing looks pretty fucking good dog....'bout time you show out :cool:
Had killer Mexican and swilled tequila.....and saw still had some sway....bro, I'm totally tanned out!!!!:p:p:p:p:p
But....................:( At least you can reminisce.....:oops::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yellow foliage is normal, all leaves age, turn, and drop. Definitely clean them out. Since you repotted and sounds like you maybe went a bit aggressive(?) probably best to let it keep growing until spring.

In early spring, you can cut it back pretty hard. You need to take your time and go branch by branch and make a decision on each shoot on each branch. Shorten the "runner" and then look at each shoot as it's own tuft of foliage. They tend to grow alternately (like an elm). Keep alternating shoots along each shortened branch (green arrows at inset), then trim each tuft by removing its "runner" (red line at inset), so all tufts are about the same size. This will help balance the tree, and allow for light and air circulation.
IMG_1356.JPG
You will end up with something like this:
IMG_1357.PNG
Which you can then wire to look like this:
IMG_1358.PNG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
went a bit aggressive(?) probably best to let it keep growing until spring

Yes...very too!
With your sixteen page 6 year thread in my head the whole time thinking.....
"This is NOT as slow as 6 years":eek:

I don't intend to do anything at all till removing one or all of that unused first whorl come spring...
Health dependent.

Health....I have a feeling it's either gonna take off with more even Water and oxygen, as the roots kept seemed to be the happiest hardest working feeders anyway....

Or stall.

But it seems way too full of energy to die.

Thank you so much. Your words give me great confidence.

I'm gonna come seeking advice iffin we get to spring.
I do have to manage the branches but I don't want to lose any more vigor...

As it were...

All these
each shoot as it's own tuft of foliage.

Seemed close to sending runners themselves..
So if they do...
I May consider this the dreaded...unskipped beat.

But shit if I don't feel like it may up the tempo!

Stick twirl...toss....behind the back catch....
Boom Bap!
:cool:

Sorce

Top Bottom