Pin oak Bonsai

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hello all, I have a pin oak I would like to create a bonsai out of. Most people say I should plant the tree, but as I said, I want to create the bonsai. Do I just leave the tree in its pot, and then do I repot it in the correct season? Thanks all for your help.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it too small\young for Bonsai yet?

Maybe do plant it out?

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's actually quite large. It's 4 feet tall or so. Is that still okay for a bonsai?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are you located? Do you have a picture of the tree?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's actually quite large. It's 4 feet tall or so. Is that still okay for a bonsai?

Still OK? Yes! Always!

But it could be 5 years till finished...
Or 35!

"Small/young" would be in reference to girth not height.

Consider....
Ready for a pot...englis12.jpg

Need for ground grow out...
buroak1.JPG

Both around 4 ft tall!

Sorce

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I will supply pictures as soon as possible, but my tree looks more like the second picture sadly. It's still in a pot though.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to Bonsai Nut!

When you say "it's still in a pot" do you mean it is in a black plastic nursery pot?

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I will supply pictures as soon as possible, but my tree looks more like the second picture sadly. It's still in a pot though.
Pin oak won't develop a trunk in a pot. At least not in anything resembling a sane timeline.

I had one in a pot for a couple years and it grew way too slowly for what I needed. I moved it to the ground where it's been for probably the past 4-5 years, and I'm still working on the base of the trunk.

To be fair, I've done a number of things that have probably slowed it down in the ground, but it still grows much faster in the ground than it could in the pot.

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Pin oak won't develop a trunk in a pot. At least not in anything resembling a sane timeline.

I had one in a pot for a couple years and it grew way too slowly for what I needed. I moved it to the ground where it's been for probably the past 4-5 years, and I'm still working on the base of the trunk.

To be fair, I've done a number of things that have probably slowed it down in the ground, but it still grows much faster in the ground than it could in the pot.
Does that mean it won't live?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@ant888 you are currently learning the most crushing and important lesson a bonsai beginner can learn. Any good tree starts with planting it in the ground and letting it grow for a good number of years. The exception would be buying large landscape material and chopping it back really hard, which still typically result in growing out at least a some parts. But! time flies AND you live near all shapes bonsai nursery so pick up some material to play with in the meantime. Glad to see an east coaster playing wih oak. hope you stick around on the site

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for all the answers everyone. ;) One more question, when do I root prune? During the dormancy season, correct?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for all the answers everyone. ;) One more question, when do I root prune? During the dormancy season, correct?

When you're trying to fatten the tree, as you should with a tree your size, don't do any pruning. If possible, do plant it in the ground and let it grow wild for a few years without any pruning.

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I wanted to keep it in the pot/a pot. I don't want to plant it, as if I ever move, I don't really want to have to dig it up to move it.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Okay, but just realize that the tree won't really develop a trunk in a pot and will probably look like a sapling for many years.

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Okay, so I'll take care of it in the pot, I really don't mind the trunk small anyways. Thanks for the help! :)

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So, I have one more question. When do I prune the buds to keep it from getting taller?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not owning own "ground" you can use larger nursery pot or build grow box having excess room for roots to fool tree. Oaks have large tap roots so should try to shorten with each repotting(may need to be done in stages over few years)being sure to leave side roots in decent quantity to feed tree each time. Best time for this is just before growth starts about late Feb unless having persistent cold weather/snow preventing advent of spring growth. Low branches to be used for future tree can begin training/wiring now but sacrifice branch or trunk should be allowed wild free growth to fatten trunk. Trimming of main tree can be done most any time but leave small stub above branch or bud to be saved and wait for stub to dry up before removing. This helps prevent die back of desired part. Please show pictures and welcome to Oak growers fraternity;).

Top Bottom