Pin Oak Cuttings - A Tutorial in the Making

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I collected some pin oak seeds in May (Southern Hemisphere so my Fall/Winter), stratified them in the fridge over winter and planted 2-3 months ago. All 8 or so sprouted about a month ago and are growing strongly. They seem very easy from seed.

Yes, where oaks are propagated commercially, they tend to be propagated by seed. Seedlings take many more years to mature than say an elm for example, but oak seedlings are easy.

There are few named oak cultivars, these are only propagated by grafting.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Not to be a ''Debbie Downer'' or a ''Negative Nellie'', but as a general rule, if a tree is considered difficult to root from cuttings, it is very likely to be equally difficult to air layer. The mechanisms required to produce new roots on a layer are the same to get a cutting to produce new roots. My comment is not an absolute, but if I were a betting man, I would bet the oaks are equally difficult to air layer.

Though it might be worth a try. If it worked only one in 10 tries, that is still better than nothing. Note comments about younger than 8 year old cuttings were the only ones to have any success. If I were to try an air layer, it would be young wood.

Awww Leo, this little girl air layered an oak, surely WE can do it lol

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My experience with juniper cuttings in zone 5 is that it will take about 18 months to form roots, but the cuttings will persist, and then root and grow. So don't despair if you don't see roots on the junipers in only 6 weeks. Yes, winter cuttings are recommended, but I have had success with summer cuttings too, not 100%, but over 25%.

Oak cuttings, I tried a few times with no success. Your experience is not too different than mine.

M. Dir in his 1987 edition "Reference Manuel of Woody Plant Propagation from Seed to Tissue Culture", says the entire genus of Quercus has a reputation of being impossible to reproduce by cuttings in a commercial quantity. He goes on to state a researcher in Texas had success rooting cuttings of Quercus virginiana in May, August and the warm early days of October. Cuttings taken in cooler weather November to April failed to root. Cuttings from young trees, less than 8 years old, rooted more easily than cuttings from mature trees. Cuttings from mature trees were near 100% failure. 10,000 ppm K-IBA solution was used. Semi-hardwood cuttings were used, pencil thin or thinner. Well drained perlite & peat media, bottom heat. A polytent was not satisfactory. Cuttings were held under mist for 12 weeks then hardened off under reduced mist. Juvenility of the cuttings was essential. Cuttings taken from previously rooted cuttings achieved highest success at 81% (my note: implying the original batch had significantly less than 81% success). Dirr suggests that this approach might be extended to species beyond just Q. virginiana.

So from the books, the closed container was probably a bad idea. Bottom heat would have helped. And there was a specific concentration and component for the rooting hormone.

All in all not surprising you had no success, but also pointing out that it has been done and documented by at least one dude on one species.

The book goes on to discuss seed propagation of oaks, and grafting to propagate oaks. Grafting has a few tricks and suggestions, not a highly successful method for reproducing oaks, but much more successful than cuttings.

Take it from there. I have not seen anything since this 1987 publication to suggest anyone has worked out a system for rooting cuttings that was easier, or had a higher success rate.

i was just reading about this in this pdf

Vegetative Propagation in Oak - Richard Worrell

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...UQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2lp_3076-W1q7rQnO4wnX3

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
i was just reading about this in this pdf

Vegetative Propagation in Oak - Richard Worrell

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...UQFnoECAQQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2lp_3076-W1q7rQnO4wnX3

Interesting Read.

For bonsai, we usually don't need thousands, I think for general purposes, raising oaks from seed, acorns, is quicker and easier. It is good to know if there is a particular clone or cultivar of oak that simply does not bred true from seed. Then cuttings or grafting would be the way to go. It is good to know that cuttings technology has advanced, but it is still not "easy" just yet.

I'll stick to dropping an acorn in a pot for the moment.

But thank you for the article, I did save it to my "secret files"

Top Bottom