Pin Oak; Quercus Palustris

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is an interesting tree; naturally exposed roots, white bark and reddish leaves are quite attractive. I cut the trunk down 2 years ago where there was no growth. It responded with by throwing several strong shoots, essentially what you see today. The trunk will be hollowed out early spring and the upper exposed roots will be removed when the time comes. It had a fungus that's been treated. You can see the new leader; the tallest shoot on the left.IMG_0433.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0436.JPG
    IMG_0436.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0437.JPG
    IMG_0437.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 123

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like your tree and oaks in general. You have a good start on something interesting. If I may make a suggestion please; don't be in too big a hurry to cut off any of your exposed roots as they could or might be used later on in your design. Consider how you might use them IF you changed the angle of your planting. Just a thought. I normally decide the planting angle for my trees based at least partly on how the surface roots will look. That was a NASTY looking fungus. What was it and how did you treat it? Nice that you have a lot of sprouts to work with and it would be interesting to see how it progresses.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A Santa Cruz.

And.... Jesus.! You're fishing in that avatar!

I always thought you were a trunk and the water was some sort of photoshopped canopy.
Never opened it. Wow. ...double wow!

Nice.

Sorce

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A Santa Cruz.

And.... Jesus.! You're fishing in that avatar!

I always thought you were a trunk and the water was some sort of photoshopped canopy.
Never opened it. Wow. ...double wow!

Nice.

Sorce
My brother took that shot on a camping trip; The Honey Hole - south of Lake Tahoe. I also thought the image was doctored when I first saw it.
The thing more gangster than the sink is the case of ice cold 40s in the refrigerator below the tree.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like your tree and oaks in general. You have a good start on something interesting. If I may make a suggestion please; don't be in too big a hurry to cut off any of your exposed roots as they could or might be used later on in your design. Consider how you might use them IF you changed the angle of your planting. Just a thought. I normally decide the planting angle for my trees based at least partly on how the surface roots will look. That was a NASTY looking fungus. What was it and how did you treat it? Nice that you have a lot of sprouts to work with and it would be interesting to see how it progresses.
I sprayed actinovate and nature's way fungicides; applied early morning - has worked fine.

Mike MoMo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
So Once Again I am a Bonsai Nut looking Crazy on a public bus with an ugly tree. This time it's a six inch Pin Oak stump that's about an inch and a half at the base. Yeah another stick in a pot to quench my desire to commune with Nature. Plus it was on sale, Inexpensive Therapy to keep me from turning a normal Human who is afraid to Dream.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Isn't it better to let only the new leader grow and cut the rest in that stage?
Every sprout growing is increasing trunk size and when removed scars add character as well. This all based on not shading out any sprout likely to be saved;).

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You want it even fatter? :)
Based on leaf size trunk still very small. Great start for sure but if was my tree would want at least 4" to start "finish" development on tree 2.5'-3' tall unless was for literati;). Bigger oak helps keep somewhat large leaves in good scale.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any update on this one? It is a species I am interested in.

Top Bottom