Pinching nursery stock aka PreBonsai question

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi all. I was wondering if it's appropriate to pinch deciduous buds if I repotted a new tree I bought from nursery. I didn't mess with the root system, I will study the roots next spring at the right season.

As a beginner, I read different things about this topic some I read say to give the tree time to establish again, but I didn't take the rootball apart or did any root pruning, I simply repotted because the original pot was made of really cheap plastic.

So should I wait to pinch the buds, or do it now? I don't want the tree to grow internodes and get tall before next spring. I'd rather have some of the growth focus on making the inner medium branches become a little bit "fuller", instead of growing taller and taller. Thanks in advance!

Juanmi

Mame
Reaction score
I would say let the tree get confortable in its new environment and let it get strong. Even if you didn't touch the root system a tree is not suposed to move from one place to another. You'll always have time to pinch later.

Maybe you can tell us more about the tree.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hi all. I was wondering if it's appropriate to pinch deciduous buds if I repotted a new tree I bought from nursery. I didn't mess with the root system, I will study the roots next spring at the right season.

As a beginner, I read different things about this topic some I read say to give the tree time to establish again, but I didn't take the rootball apart or did any root pruning, I simply repotted because the original pot was made of really cheap plastic.

So should I wait to pinch the buds, or do it now? I don't want the tree to grow internodes and get tall before next spring. I'd rather have some of the growth focus on making the inner medium branches become a little bit "fuller", instead of growing taller and taller. Thanks in advance!
You had better check your sources of information; I have never in the 60+ years I have been doing bonsai pinched the buds on a deciduous tree.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suspect a miscommunication.
What kind of tree are you working with?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

I tried to send you a bit more percise answer but somehow it did not get published. What kind of tree are you dealing with?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pinching tips is my SOP to keep deciduous trees compact.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Only pinch to develop tight ramification in close to “finished” trees.

If your primary and secondary branches are not set, no need to pinch. Grow out, cut back, repeat.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you want the branches to thicken up, let those branches run unrestrained. Is the trunk the thickness you want? Is the major branching form set? I like to keep my deciduous compact, but I always let the first flush grow out before pruning back.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't mean to be a hard ass but what kind of tree are we talking about in the first place--- and are you clear that generally we do not discuss pinching buds and deciduous trees in the same context except here in this thread? Sorce is correct: Inorder to be accurate we need a picture of the tree in question, then all the rest of this crap become mute.

Top Bottom