Pine and Cedar cuttings

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Has any one tried hardwood (1 year old wood )pine and cedar (Cedrus) cuttings?
I have struck Black pine and I believe Cedrus deodara is regularly done also.
I know someone who shoved a piece of Japanese White Pine into a pot and it grew roots! (One cutting and roots = 100% success rate! :D) I know Zuisho is regularly cutting grown as well.
I'm prepping Cedrus brevifolia and 17 year old seedling grown white pine cuttings by slow hormone soak and planting tomorrow in sand diatomite mix with mycorrhiza from another pine.
I stupidly sold my Kyokko Nishiki stock plant so I would have tried those also. I usually graft all these things every year.

Would appreciate to hear from any one who has had success.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Zuisho JWP will start from cuttings, but the yield is very low. The most successful person I know is Julian Adams, and he says he gets about 5% to live.

I'm told Kokonoe JWP will yield about the same as Zuisho.

The other varieties of JWP have less success.

Daluke

Mame
Reaction score
I've tried and failed. I'll keep going. I think I've used the wrong mix in past experiments. Too open=no good. Too wet=no good. It's a shame there isn't a "propagate mix" product containing the right balance of rooting hormone, soil etc.

What's the rationale behind hard wood cuttings?

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've tried and failed. I'll keep going. I think I've used the wrong mix in past experiments. Too open=no good. Too wet=no good. It's a shame there isn't a "propagate mix" product containing the right balance of rooting hormone, soil etc.

What's the rationale behind hard wood cuttings?
Hardwood as in one year old (not really hardwood) take longer to strike but less likely to rot.
Suzuki used 100% sand to strike Zuisho. I only have a very small zuisho so I can't take cuttings from it yet. I got about 60% success with black pine a couple of years ago in washed river sand only. I used ''EZI Root'' as the hormone as it has both IBA and NAA and supposedly good for resinous species. But Black pine are so common it's not worth the trouble.
This time I wrapped each cutting end in a small ball of sphagnum moss before sticking. This was suggested in an IB article when striking Nishiki pines.

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I am trying hardwood cuttings of Cedrus Atlantica I have 15 or so. Would guess the wood is two or three years old. Stuck in paver sand, and are now frozen in my backyard.
All of us would recommend this book. Simply put, it’s a gold mine for propagation technique and it’s extensive notes on hundreds of trees.29318098-EE3C-47A1-8968-944AF4EC89E7.png

win320

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks, @papkey5
Please let us know if you get any success. It will be useful.

Indeed this book is a goldmine, I have my copy.

I have put Cedrus Brefolia and Cedrus Deodara cuttings last night. I hope to get some success. I will update the group.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi @MichaelS

Did you get any success with Cedrus Brevifolia cutting?

Thanks
Yes many of them struck but subsequent growth was poor. Only two left that did not die. Very slow to establish. Mind you, neglecting them doesn't help.....

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I am trying hardwood cuttings of Cedrus Atlantica I have 15 or so. Would guess the wood is two or three years old. Stuck in paver sand, and are now frozen in my backyard.
All of us would recommend this book. Simply put, it’s a gold mine for propagation technique and it’s extensive notes on hundreds of trees.View attachment 419732
Fall 2022, had no luck with the above mentioned cuttings for the blue atlas cedar. Found a pine cone from the same tree this summer and will try seeds instead. One question, when attempting hardwood cuttings do you root from the branch or the whorl?

win320

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks, @papkey5
Please let us know if you get any success. It will be useful.

Indeed this book is a goldmine, I have my copy.

I have put Cedrus Brefolia and Cedrus Deodara cuttings last night. I hope to get some success. I will update the group.
Finally update on my post (bit late - actual pic of August 2022).
I got success with 1 Cedrus Brevifolia cutting out of 2. Here is the pic
brevifolia cutting.jpg

Cedrus deodara 5/5 success (very easy to root)

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks win320. Can you share the techniques you used? How old was the stock plant? Was it grafted? don't spare the details!
Thanks...

Top Bottom