Pine Aphids?

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all, I found the following little fella on my mugo last night.

20181101_205658.jpg 20181101_205713.jpg

From my searching around the best fit I can see is pine aphid (or large/giant pine aphid).
I also found some eggs on the needles that I cleaned off.

20181101_210055.jpg

Any tips on getting rid of these? I'll be trying manually but judging by the 2 I've found so far, they like to nestle down deep in the needles making them difficult to spot!

Thanks.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They're so huge that they had me baffled and confused at first glance. I've seen lots of aphids in my life but never that big, and fast too! Until this year. A small infection.
Two treatments with neem oil spread over 2 weeks were sufficient to keep them at bay.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check the roots of plants too. I had them in my juniper. Sprayed it. Plant turn very week in the weeks after. A quick inspection of the roots (Scratching surface soild away around the nebari) showed some had moved belowground.
Watered with insecticide a few times and they were gone there too.

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Check the roots of plants too. I had them in my juniper. Sprayed it. Plant turn very week in the weeks after. A quick inspection of the roots (Scratching surface soild away around the nebari) showed some had moved belowground.
Watered with insecticide a few times and they were gone there too.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll make sure to do so this weekend.
I'm curious as to Pine Aphid behaviour over winter. These little guys really seemed to be hunkering down. I've probably cleared 20+ needles of eggs so far, but haven't found anymore after the first 2 aphids.

Will the neem oil stop the eggs hatching or is that still going to be an issue?

Thanks again all!

Top Bottom