Pine Branch Cutting

tonkatsu

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi All,

I received a pine branch cutting in March and have been trying to root it.
Based on the picture, do you think this is a lost cause? As you can see, all the needles are brown and dry.

Soil as been kept moist and I have been misting everyday.

I was hoping to see signs of life by now but no new growth.
To the more experienced growers, should I give up or continue to be patient?

Tonkatsu

Attachments

• Pine.jpg
    Pine.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 48

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
It has been dead since March. I’ve never heard of anyone rooting a pine cutting, other than seedling cuttings.

tonkatsu

Seedling
Reaction score
It has been dead since March. I’ve never heard of anyone rooting a pine cutting, other than seedling cuttings.
I appreciate the response.
I didn't think I would have much luck, but it came from a 60 year old tree so I thought I would at least try.

Time to move on.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Some pines can root from cuttings, but it can take a very long time, and unlikely that thick of a cutting. It's definitely dead. No if ands or buts about it.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I regularly root cuttings of JBP, JRP, white pine and mugho.
Juvenile growth definitely strikes better and faster so seedling cuttings are easy also any juvenile shoots that appear after hard pruning but I get around 10-20% of cuttings from 1 and 2 year old wood to strike roots.
The older the wood the less chance so I don't think this branch had much hope. It is definitely dead now.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm convinced the only time to get one, much smaller new growth, to sprout, is if it's collected in spring before the buds decide to move, and provided it has healthy needles on it.

Soft growth is too susceptible to dessication, any growth is too susceptible to winter without roots.

Sorce

Top Bottom