Pine bud-back from old wood

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
This tree is an Eastern Red Pine (Pinus resinosa). It had seemingly succumbed to a severe draught. There was no green anywhere, just a few brown needles clinging to some dead looking branches at the crown. But the next spring, after ample rain, this happened. The trunk sprouted new growth from the base to a height of ten feet or more. You can hardly get older wood than that and on a pine.

DSC00487.JPGDSC00483.JPGDSC00482.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Curious if these buds would have different genes in terms of drought tolerance, growth patterns, disease resistance? I understand this is a clone but has this event altered that bud?

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Simply the resilience and wonder of Michigan nature! Are you in the LP or UP?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool. I have observed similar responses to loss of canopy in Larch. But those are known to toss their needles are regrow them (but not backbud).
Very cool, thx for sahring. (And please don't tell us next week that you put all the banches on there just to fool us!)

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
@Sansiu LP
@leo Next year I will see if I can find it again (friend's property) to see how it is doing

I'm certainly not suggesting a bonsai technique here but you have to wonder if that budding was triggered by some chemical released by the tree. That might be useful to know.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is caused by winter stress and is a type of fall back for survival. It happens in JRP too.

Reaction score
It can happen in all pines, and most conifers. Either abundance of resources or abundance of stress causes most plants to do this. Pretty cool.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Curious if these buds would have different genes in terms of drought tolerance, growth patterns, disease resistance? I understand this is a clone but has this event altered that bud?
Epigenetically pines are slow adapters. Which means that its offsprings offspring will potentially have altered genes from an event in this trees lifetime.. If it continues happening. But then again, this tree has shown resilience to drought, it might just be so that it's the only survivor and that its offspring carry the same resilient genes.

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Sansiu LP
@leo Next year I will see if I can find it again (friend's property) to see how it is doing

I'm certainly not suggesting a bonsai technique here but you have to wonder if that budding was triggered by some chemical released by the tree. That might be useful to know.
I spent some time growing up in Rogers City and summer camp in Presque Isle in the early 60's. Lasting memories, beautiful country!

Top Bottom