Pine Demise

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would like some assistance with a relatively quick demise of an established JBP. I acquired it in February from a reputable vendor. It is approximately 10 years old. It arrived in a pond basket that was in bad shape so I slip potted it into one size larger pond basket. It is potted in turface/granite/lava with small amount of bark.

The tree has rather suddenly gone down hill in a hurry. The color has changed to pale green with some needles yellow or brown; most needles are almost falling off in my hand. I have other pines in the same soil and exposure that are OK.

We have had record rainfall in Georgia lately - I have over 9 inches in September and over 12 inches in the last 30 days.

I am guessing root rot but I would like help trying to determine what's wrong. I feel sure the pine is dead - its just taking a few weeks to give up the ghost. I woud appreciate comments or tips on what to look for in the (eventual) post-mortem analysis. :(

Thanks

Frank

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for your loss.

I don't think it's the rain - your soil sounds like it drains well, your other trees are doing well in similar soil, and JBPs grow VERY well in similar soil where we live with rains that most folks can't begin to imagine.

I don't think it's the slip potting if it had an established root ball when you did it. (Otherwise I would classify the technique as a mere repotting, which can be more risky.)

It is a reputable dealer you say, you have not done too much pruning or anything I assume, etc. So I'm not sure. BUT, the pine, if it is dead, probably died a long time ago. I had one from which I took an obviously unsuccessful air layer attempt, but my wife insisted I give it a chance and threw it in a pot, where it teased us for about six months last year before declaring it's true intentions.

As for it being dead - is it only growth from 2-3 years ago that is turning brown, or even the new growth from this year? Was it pushing new growth with any vigor all season, and only stopped recently, or was it never doing much of anything?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd agree that the tree may not have been ship shape when you got it. Pines can take, literally, a year to die. Stress becomes visible very late in the process. Yellowing and browning needles are one of the last signs of it.

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm in northern Georgia that is if I don't float away. JBP that I'd had for three years did exactly the same thing my next door neighbor had one die that he had in Florida for ten years. If you can figure out the problem I hope you'll post the remedy here. Thanks

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Frank, I would check for Pine Beetle bore holes. Wood

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Frank, sorry about the pine. All of my pines have survived this summer, and the trip from MA. Thank God for the 100% inorganic mix they are all in...we have recieved 12" of rain here since yesterday!!!!!:eek: ....perhaps 20" of rain in the last 10 days.

Dave

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks folks. grouper, it never really exhibited strong growth this season. It put ut some candles but thay were only 1 or 2 inches. I did not do any pruning this season thinking it was weakened with shipment, re-potting, etc.

I will look for pine beetles.

Frank

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
There are so many ways to kill a JBP, too many to list. I have found if it dies all at once , it more than likely has to do with stress, roots being the big problem, a little at a time could be critters, I nearly lost one to some sort of bug that I still can't identifly. It does sound as if your tree was already in trouble to die so soon, while the others are doing fine. I try to buy JBP's in the winter, so they have a chance to aclimate slowly to my climate and not bother them too much the first season. It sounds like you did most of the things I do. Sorry for your loss, but don't give up.

keep it green,
Harry (who's never lost a pine..........ya, right)

Last edited:
Top Bottom