Pine ID help

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I dug this pine up at my teacher's house. He had been field growing it for a few years. I don't know what kind, we have a lot of shore pines around here but I think the needles are too long.

WjW8NBd.jpg

jfGsJeN.jpg

S0HqBUT.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Does your teacher not know?!

if it's native could be lodgepole pine

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
P. contorta contorta (Shore pine) 'Span's dwarf' tends to grow in the fashion pictured - generally very short needles but a burst of long needles late in the season. Your local agricultural agent or forestry guy may help to definitively ID it.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Agree with Oso......probably shore pine.....I get needles that length if I'm too heavy on the fert.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can please bring to next club meeting? Might get some help there;). Agree looks like Italian Stone Pine.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Aleppo does produce juvenile needles alongside mature ones. If not Aleppo you're definitely closing in. I would imagine italian stone pine wouldn't be nearly as happy in zone 8 oregon as halapensis but now im just speculating from over here on the east coast

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aleppo does produce juvenile needles alongside mature ones. If not Aleppo you're definitely closing in. I would imagine italian stone pine wouldn't be nearly as happy in zone 8 oregon as halapensis but now im just speculating from over here on the east coast

Have seen ISP growing in Reno zone 6 marginally 7 downtown. Was on margin between these. Surprise to me and took me one year to ID tree;).

Reactions: GGB

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have seen ISP growing in Reno zone 6 marginally 7 downtown. Was on margin between these. Surprise to me and took me one year to ID tree;).
huh surprising. I wonder if it was wintered indoors. They say it's only hardy to 8 but we know by now that zones can be pushed for a few years

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Italian stone pine survived -15C outdoors here.
The juvenile foliage is.. Hard to work with, since it pops up every now and then for no reason. I remember them putting off a lot of resin and getting real sticky. I haven't seen any other pine do that, also the trichomes/spikey points on the juvenile foliage give it away. Those are way more defined than Jack pine, JBP, JRP, Scots, Mugo and Nigra pines. If you look close, you could see if those characteristics match yours.

Halepensis, or aleppo pine, doesn't put off juvenile foliage very easily. I've seen a few thousand by now, and never have I seen juvenile foliage on trees taller than a few inches. Mediterranean people might give some more info on that, I only spent 11 days observing halepensis and even though I've seen thousands, I haven't owned them until the end of 2019.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
huh surprising. I wonder if it was wintered indoors. They say it's only hardy to 8 but we know by now that zones can be pushed for a few years

Definitely not. Was growing at Motel 6 where I roomed. Will see If can post pics.(big hassle to do)

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Here is the same pine. I repotted it in it’s current pot in Jan 2020. I threw some wire on it today.
I feel like the second left branch is too thick but unsure what I want to do.
Pre-wire
5BA27B70-0196-43CA-8EB4-CC901C49F60B.jpegB903EB92-4144-4F2A-9409-04470B80395F.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The second left branch is too thick, but you can not just cut it off.

One option, is to just control growth until the situation is remedied. It will take minimum 3 years, possibly 5 or more years.

Every year, prune away most of the new growth on the overly thick branch. Do not allow it to add much foliage. The less foliage added each year, the less it will continue to thicken.

Every year, allow the other branches, and the apex of the tree to add foliage, add new branches and grow. The more foliage the other branches support, the quicker they will thicken up.

If the trunk, back buds, and provides options in the future, you might be able to remove the overly thick branch. But if the trunk does not back bud, you can, with time and patience, control growth to "grow your way out" of the problem.

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
The second left branch is too thick, but you can not just cut it off.

One option, is to just control growth until the situation is remedied. It will take minimum 3 years, possibly 5 or more years.

Every year, prune away most of the new growth on the overly thick branch. Do not allow it to add much foliage. The less foliage added each year, the less it will continue to thicken.

Every year, allow the other branches, and the apex of the tree to add foliage, add new branches and grow. The more foliage the other branches support, the quicker they will thicken up.

If the trunk, back buds, and provides options in the future, you might be able to remove the overly thick branch. But if the trunk does not back bud, you can, with time and patience, control growth to "grow your way out" of the problem.
It has 3 branches at the end. I probably will cut the center of the 3, it is the thickest. At the least it will help with the taper on that branch.

I have been letting the apex grow. as it is prett scraggly.

these pines backbud well but I don’t think it would on the lower trunk.

Top Bottom