Pine Identification Help

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can anyone help with identification of this pine tree? It has small tight needles with small cones. Been trying to determine what it is since I collected a bunch of cones from it to try out planting from seed.
I'm assuming the green cones in the pic are ones that aren't mature yet, is that true?
Thanks...

Attachments

• pine-1.jpg
    pine-1.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 85
  • pine-2.jpg
    pine-2.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 74
  • pine-3.jpg
    pine-3.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 74
  • pine-4.jpg
    pine-4.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 68

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I believe 2 needles per fascicle. I was thinking it's a Red Pine or Jack Pine from what I could determine from searching. I've attached another close up.

Attachments

• pine-5.jpg
    pine-5.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 67

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Hiding behind pine trees.

Sorce

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Based on your location it could be Pinus Contorta (Lodgepole Pine), however it looks to be a boulevard tree so could it be Scott’s Pine! The green cones are 1 year olds, the brown ones should have viable seeds....dry them out and the seeds should easily fall out.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm I am about 80 percent in for Lodgepole pine and 20 percent for Scots. From what I have seen with PNW suburban developments around the split level and ranch eras, both were planted.

Lodgepole votes:
  1. Straight trunks
  2. Trunk thickness feels right
  3. Cluttered and spindly branch growth habit
  4. Bright red colors of buds
  5. Bark has smaller, silver colored plates (the brighter streaks reflect aggressive growth and lots of water in the past few years)

Scots votes:
  1. They can grow straight trunks
  2. Surrounding plants include juniper, ivy, and azalea — landscaping theme was definitely global and not exclusively PNW
  3. Their branches can also become spindly
  4. Their buds can look so similar
I’m surely missing a clear differentiator. What is it?

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Another vote for Scots pine.
Here’s why:
-the rusty orange coloration on the upper trunk and branches.
-cones lack bristles
-needles are a bluish green hue

Jack pine needles are very short, under 2 inches usually, and are more of a yellow green.
Lodgepole cones are prickly. The bark is relatively smooth compared to most pines.

Here’s a picture of a scots in my neighborhood. Note the orange coloration on the limbs and upper trunk.

Attachments

• B7AC0979-B1EE-450E-BA74-7962052A077F.jpeg
    B7AC0979-B1EE-450E-BA74-7962052A077F.jpeg
    399 KB · Views: 36
  • FDF3B68A-2F11-4756-B4B2-9220011B5431.jpeg
    FDF3B68A-2F11-4756-B4B2-9220011B5431.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 42

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Doesn't feel like lodgepole to me, and the cones are too short and round for jackpine. I have no other suggestions, but I don't think those are right.

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another vote for Scots pine.
Here’s why:
-the rusty orange coloration on the upper trunk and branches.
-cones lack bristles
-needles are a bluish green hue

Jack pine needles are very short, under 2 inches usually, and are more of a yellow green.
Lodgepole cones are prickly. The bark is relatively smooth compared to most pines.

Here’s a picture of a scots in my neighborhood. Note the orange coloration on the limbs and upper trunk.
I measured the needles today that were still in the bucket and they are around 1.5 - 2 inches long. That's why I was leaning towards Jack pine. The smaller cone tho in your pic looks to be about the same size and shape. My neighbor has a Scots pine (I think) and I've picked up a lot of cones from my yard that have dropped. The cones are bigger along with the needles by about an inch or so. I'm heading to that office park in the morning so I'm going to get a little more info on the coloration and size. I also saw a site that says to " hit my palm against the end of the needles and if they feel sharp then it is a Scots Pine".

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I measured the needles today that were still in the bucket and they are around 1.5 - 2 inches long. That's why I was leaning towards Jack pine. The smaller cone tho in your pic looks to be about the same size and shape. My neighbor has a Scots pine (I think) and I've picked up a lot of cones from my yard that have dropped. The cones are bigger along with the needles by about an inch or so. I'm heading to that office park in the morning so I'm going to get a little more info on the coloration and size. I also saw a site that says to " hit my palm against the end of the needles and if they feel sharp then it is a Scots Pine".

Right on. Not sure about the palm trick but the rusty orange upper trunk and branches is a hallmark for scots pine. It looks like the pine in your photo has it but one can’t be sure with photos.

If there’s cones on the branches, take note of the direction they’re pointing. Jack pine cones tend to point towards the twig tips. On scots they’ll be more relaxed or more often pointing backwards towards the trunk.

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I edited your photo to point out the rust-orange color on the branches.. and noticed more..

Some features that point to it not being jack pine:
-the cones do not curve at their tips
-some of the collected cones are partially open. Jack pine is a fire dependent tree. In most trees (nearly all) their cones are serotinous and will not open without high heat (ie fire or an oven)
-in your photos I’m not seeing cones still on the tree. Jack pine retains its cones a very long time. Sometimes they become encased in bark.

I'm noticing you’re in wa. That increases confidence that it’s a scots. Many are planted here, but I have yet to see a jack.
I’m almost certain thats a scot pine but I suppose we’ll need to consider shore pine..

Attachments

• 768D3561-8412-4CB6-9060-2D3E99CDA800.jpeg
    768D3561-8412-4CB6-9060-2D3E99CDA800.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally HAD agreed about orange bark however believe Lodgepole may have as well. Not convinced cone dfference accurate What does Parhamr think? Either way sure is one of these 2;).

Cruiser

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you can, get a close up shot of the bark. It can help differentiate the species.

Top Bottom