Pine killer trend breaker?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Mugos will do that but Scotts Pines will do it a lot. Withold fertilizer until after the 4th of July or there abouts. When they are root bound this will happen.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's see some pictures if possible. All of my Mugos are starting to elongate.
Thx. They have swollen, and are glossy. Just responding to the repot I suppose. Might have been slightly early with cold nights returning after the initial push:

Reactions: GGB

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thx. They have swollen, and are glossy. Just responding to the repot I suppose. Might have been slightly early with cold nights returning after the initial push:
You repotted this Spring????

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's pretty late leatherback, mine are all at the pushing needles point.
Some of the slow buds on some trees are just pushing but most of them are way beyond that point.

Some pictures would help!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's pretty late leatherback, mine are all at the pushing needles point.
Some of the slow buds on some trees are just pushing but most of them are way beyond that point.

Some pictures would help!
Yeah I know. Not sure what is going on. I did get one bud to break 6 weeks ago, resulting in flowers..
Many buds over the last week broke, getting to the "unhemmed skirt" look. See some traces of green in the buds. But no charactersitic candle forming/extension.
Still shiny though. I am sticking with "As long as it freezes overnicht, it is still winter"

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a couple that started the typical flaking that you can see when the needles should form, but they've been standing still for the past month.
In my case that's the soil; it's too water retentive. Can't do anything about that because the neighbors spray their yard every night and it lands right on my trees.
But yeah, the weather is crazy. I can imagine the trees being a little off balance because of it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have a couple that started the typical flaking that you can see when the needles should form, but they've been standing still for the past month.
In my case that's the soil; it's too water retentive. Can't do anything about that because the neighbors spray their yard every night and it lands right on my trees.
But yeah, the weather is crazy. I can imagine the trees being a little off balance because of it.
Move your trees, or place a brick or thick piece of wood under one end of the pot to increase the angle of drainage.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Did you perhaps withold feeding after the repot?
No judgement! But it would explain a slowish start.

My scots pines looked like that in march.

It's not looking unhealthy! It should be alright.

But if you don't mind I'd like to predict some juvenile foliage to pop up. My late buds are doing just that.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Would you fertilize?
Yes.
Is it wise to do so?
I believe it is.
Can over doing it kill the roots?
It sure can. And then it's game over.
How much is too much?
I apply cheap organic fertilizer at 1 tablespoon per liter of soil. That's not too much.

I'm not conservative at all. And thus far the trees agreed with my approach. But I think the bonsai experts withold it for a some reason that I can't scientifically explain, other than Nitrogen having some effect on root restoration (but this differs heavily per plant family). In laboratories around the world, fresh cuttings are placed on a nutrient rich medium. The idea is that to rebuild structures, a plant needs building blocks derived from nutrients.

I pulled this tiny scots from the woods this spring:
IMG_20200519_185557.jpg
It already got two applications.
Apart from some pre-existing needle cast, it seems to be doing well.

I'm not advising you to do so, but I do want to inform you that for me it seems to work fine.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sweet! A cat dropped one of mine, and it's doing the same.
Tiny needles, short internodes.. Maybe it just wanted to help.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK, I am calling it. Recovery is clearly there. Backbudding on 3 year old branchsegments, without any pruning this year!

1597948102979.png

Budding all-over, and look at the few, yet long, needles of this year!
1597948332788.png

And of course, as recommended, I am starting to try my hand at some grafts on the pine, as recommended by.. @markyscott ? @Adair M ?
1597949260090.png

Top Bottom