Pine lover needed to be aware - borer

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today while watering my trees, I found 2 pine trees with the brownish dry needles at the new shoots. I wondered why only dead needles were in the new shoots. Then I found the tree sap filling in this area. Some thing went wrong here. I didn't notice this 2 days ago. When I removed a couple of dead needle bundles, I found a track. This track was carefully opened up and suddenly a borer was found alive :mad: . It seem to have sunglasses on :) . So I continued searching in other problem area, and found another one!

Anyone has this problem in the past? I just remove the damage shoots. What should I do to prevent this happen in the future? Thanks. Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_0848.jpg
    DSC_0848.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0849.jpg
    DSC_0849.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC_0851.jpg
    DSC_0851.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0857.jpg
    DSC_0857.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 85

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yesterday, I used insecticide to spray on all shoots and candles. Few hours later, I found some of died borers on the needles. Today, I gave another treatment for those trees. Hope it will be OK.
From now on I should pay attention to pine everyday.
Bonhe

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I recently picked up some new pines and when I started checking them out for thinning I noticed they were infested with Pine shoot borers.

I've been snapping the candles as high as I can to get rid of the ones I find. A dose of some systemic about a month ago hasn't done much since I just found two more the otherday.

What did you use to spray them with?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi TimD,
I used Triazicide bought from Home Depot.
Bonhe

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nick Lenz says put it in a trash bag then spray in RAID or some other nasty stuff and close the bag for a day.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good idea Bill. Thanks. Bonhe

Top Bottom