Pine moss. ?????

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This moss is bugging the hell out of me. What would be the best attack?
A vinegar application?

First pic is a bit blurry.

Second pic is other side and not as bad.

Third pic is after picking at it with a brush,, It uncovered some covered roots that I wasn't aware of.

Surely can't cover with soil and forget it. Or........ maybe??? :rolleyes:

thumbnail_20210616_175547.jpg

thumbnail_20210616_180146.jpg

thumbnail_20210616_183017.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I use vinegar to kill moss. Works overnight but you have to get it on every part.
Toothbrush can be effective in some cases but no good for rough bark trees where moss hides in crevices.
Covering the area with more potting soil should also kill the moss and will encourage the roots at the same time.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I always thought vinegar is bad for the roots of plants and/or trees.
Some of the things we think are not always accurate. I have been using vinegar to control moss and liverwort on my bonsai 2-3 times a year for more than 10 years. I think I would have noticed by now if it caused problems.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I always thought vinegar is bad for the roots of plants and/or trees.
Yes... if you saturate your tree in it :) Vinegar is simply a mild acid with a pH around 2.5. Used as a contact application, it will mildly "burn" anything that doesn't like acidic conditions... and then with a spritz of the hose it is gone - or so diluted it has zero impact on soil or roots.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I use vinegar to kill moss. Works overnight but you have to get it on every part.
Toothbrush can be effective in some cases but no good for rough bark trees where moss hides in crevices.
Covering the area with more potting soil should also kill the moss and will encourage the roots at the same time.
Just to clarify, potting soil? Not bonsai mix?

Top Bottom